Need larger (taller) channel balance attachment

A quick learner from valley center, ca says:
My home has many windows. I have had to replace two sets of channel balances so far, and now I have to replace another set. Previously, I used series 385 tops and shoes because those looked most like the originals. However, the tabs are thinner on the replacements than on the original balances; consequently, the sashes are now somewhat loose in the frames.

In the attached picture, the top shoe is the original, and the bottom shoe is the series 385 replacement. Is there any way to obtain the original tops and shoes?

Many thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us! Your shoe does appear to be way bigger than our 15-004. That's strange. What is the depth of your shoe, as compared to our 15-004's 1-3/32"? Also, what is the thickness of the metal channels themselves? It could be my imagination, but based on your picture, it looks like your original balance is a bit skinnier than ours.
The original shoe measures 1 1/4 inch, while the replacement measures 1 1/8 inch. The metal on the two channels is of a slightly different composition (or appearance), although the actual size is only very slightly different. (I can't measure any difference.) The location of the holes for the rivets is also slightly different, making the shoe stand-out a bit more on the original. I think the bulk of the difference is due to the thickness of the tab on the original shoe, however.

The previous replacement channel balances have worked; it is only that the sashes are slightly loose in the frames. I am just trying to find out if shoes (and tops) with the greater tab thickness are available. If not, I can get by with the series 385 balances. BTW, I have heard that the maker of these windows is out of business

Thank you for taking the time to help!
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for getting back to us. I think your best option right now would be to move your old shoe onto the channel balance you received from us. We have the tools and tutorials to help you along. First, please see our video that details the best way to replace a channel balance attachment.

The tools Mike mentioned in this video are our 75-075 rivet installation tool, our 75-502 drill bit, and our 62-005 rivet.

You may also want to look at our written guide on the same procedure, which may have a few more details for you.

Let me know what you think!
Paul, You guys are seriously helpful. Many thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Of course! It's our pleasure. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
How to replace a channel balance attachment
How to replace a channel balance attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.