Need to Add Outside Keyed Lock to Sliding Glass Door Handle

A quick learner from San Luis Obispo, CA says:
I have a sliding glass door with a handle that appears to be your 82-005 with a 4 15/16 screw spread, installed new when my house was built in 2000. I want to add a keyed lock on the outside. The 8 1/4 inch long plastic pull on the outside is fully recessed into a 7 7/8 x 13/16 inch cutout on the outside of the door. The pull appears to have a scored circle on the inside and a structure for adding a lock. This structure is similar to a universal retrofit keyed door lock/pull kit I purchased but does not quite work. And if I could get it to work the outside handle of this retrofit kit protrudes so much the sliding screen would not have clearance. Can a lock be added to my existing recessed plastic pull, and do you sell that lock? Since this circle is scored only from the inside, would I drill it out for the lock face to pass through without harming the pull, or should it be punched from the inside? Do you have a replacement part for this pull in case I try to drill or punch it out for a lock but experience a problem? I have attached photos for reference. Thanks for your help.
User submitted photo of their door handle.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
You could possibly consider installing our 82-310 key cylinder in your existing outside handle, but be careful as this outside pull is no longer made and cannot be replaced! You might want to drill out the key hole with a slow speed drill. You could also use a utility knife and cut around the hole. Just take your time.

To secure the key cylinder into the handle, you will need to use a screw similar to the 33-071 or 33-072. I can see in your photo the hole to mount the screw into the back side of the handle. Normally the 82-005 takes the 82-306 out side handle, but I don't know if it will cover the cut out in the patio door.
A quick learner from San Luis Obispo, CA says:
Thanks for the advice. I will try this with a slow-speed drill. In case I have a problem, is there a different handle set available with an outside pull that will be compatible with the existing 7 7/8 x 13/16 inch cutout in the door?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid not. This setup is no longer made and nothing is quite the same size.
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.