New shoes for Alliance Window

A home owner from KCMO says:

Hi,

I believe i need two new shoes (both sides) for my alliance window. See attached photo. Can I order from you along with instructions on how to install?

Thanks,

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5331.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

With your part still being installed in the window, I can't be definitive with my recommendation. At first glance, it looks like it could be either our 15-111 or 15-191, but again I can't be certain. You will need to remove the shoe from the window to carefully compare your piece with ours. I am also going to place a video below showing how to replace a coil shoe. Perhaps this can help you when replacing your pieces.

Hello and thanks for the response. I ordered the 15-191 heavy duty pivot shoes (1/2"), and replaced the old ones with the two new shoes, but the window still will not remain open. The new shoes are the same type and size as the old ones, and they fit well and snug into the window pane. The window this is for is pretty big and heavy. Do you have another type of shoe designed for heavier windows, or additional parts that I could install to keep the window open?

John
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The shoe isn't what keeps the window open, it just connects the coil spring to the sash. If the issue with the window is that the sash isn't remaining open, then you need new coil spring entirely. 

The 15-191 pivot shoe is compatible with the 1/2" thick Series 160. This should match up with your old spring, but you should remove one to be sure. You'll need to anyway, since you have to match up your stamp with our Series 160 weight options.

I removed the spring and see that it's a triple coil spring. See attached pic. It seems to say 35# on two of the coils, and pat 5 on the other. Do you have a part # for this type of spring, and a cover too?

Thanks,
John
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, those stamps tell us exactly what we need. Assuming that these springs are 1/2" thick, that would be the S160-5. These have 5.5 pounds of support.

The cover we provide for a 1/2" thick triple coil system is our 15-150T. You may also find the video below to be helpful.

Thank you again! So just to confirm, to replace both coil balances, I'll need to order 6 coils and two covers?
Profile picture of Tom

That's right. Though, keep in mind you only need to replace what's damaged. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.