New shoes and coil springs for a vinyl window (page 1)

A home owner from 07481 says:
Hi,

Last week, the window stopped going up after several inches, I would guess that the bent spring (from the right side of the window stopped it). But, everything looked old and tired, so I removed all of the hardware. Sorry, I couldn't find the name of the manufacturer or the date. I hope that the seven photos tell you what parts I need. As you can see, 3 photos show the hardware still in the window frame/channel. The rest are of everything now that I've removed it. The width of the spring/coil is 3/4 inch. I don't know if each side of the window has one spring that broke into two or if each side has 2 separate springs. If you need additional information or more photos, please let me know.(2 more photos arriving on the next email) Thanks! Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0648.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0649.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0650.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0657.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0658.jpg
Hi,

This is the second page I alluded to with the last two photos. (ref #D240337) Thanks! Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0659.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0660.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Dave!

This looks like a Simonton coil balance which isn't made anymore, but take a look at our 15-259 pivot shoe and Series 159 coil balances. The video below will walk you through the installation process and the parts we recommend. 

Hi,

Thanks for the info and the videos. So, I guess there was just one coil spring on each side of my window and they cracked in half, not two springs for each side. Would you please get me a list of the items needed for the repair (obviously 2 of each): pivot shoe, coil support, coil spring, pivot bar. I see that there are a variety of strengths for the springs. Should I send you the window measurements so that can determine which spring is needed? Also, the price for each item (total bill), how we pay you, etc. Thanks! Dave
Profile picture of Emily

The parts mentioned in the video above is our 15-259 pivot shoe, 15-255 coil support, S159 coil springs and 26-083 pivot bar. To determine what coil weight to select, weigh your sash on a scale and tell us the exact weight. We'll be able to work out what weight you need from there. All orders can be placed directly on our website at your convenience and you can find pricing on each of the items' respective store pages as well. 

Hi,

Thanks again, Emily. I weighed the sash twice, unfortunately, I have two different weights to give you. On the kitchen scale (used for vegetables, etc.) the weight is: 7 lbs, 13 oz. On the bathroom scale (for people), the weight is: 7.6 (sorry about that, but I think the .6 is a decimal, not an ounce, so the two weights are close) I hope that info is close enough for you to select the coil spring. In case this info is useful, the measurements of the sash are: 20 inches by 17 inches by 1 1/2 inches. I know that you've already selected a pivot bar which pertains to the coil balance pivot shoe you have selected, but it dawned on me that I never sent you a photo of the original pivot bar. So, I'll do that now. It may or may not be relevant at this point. Thanks again! Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0666.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the additional information, Dave! You could use one of the S159-3 3.5 pound coil springs on each side of the window. This totals 7 pounds of overall support; so long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight, this setup should work for you. You can always triple check the sash weight if you'd like to be 100% sure. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Hi Emily,

Thanks very much. I've just ordered the 4 parts (well, 8 actually). Thanks for your know-how, providing helpful images, videos, and because you posted the parts, all I had to do was click on each to bring them to the check out -- I didn't have to search your catalog for the part numbers that you referenced. All of that is rare these days. Have a super holiday! Dave
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for your kind words, Dave! We truly appreciate your business. If you have any future hardware questions or repairs, you know where to find us. Happy Holidays!  

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.