New window coil balances for Certainteed window

A quick learner from Johnson City, NY says:
Hi,

I have a Certainteed window and the bottom sash won't stay raised. It appears I need to change the window coil balances. Can you tell from the photos what parts I need?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4553.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4554.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4555.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4556.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4176.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need to see the pivot shoe and coils of your assembly removed from the window to compare to our inventory. We'll relate a few videos to assist you with the process. Thank you!

Thank you. I've included 2 photos of the pivot shoe, and 2 of the coil. Please let me know if I can provide anything else.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4589.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4590.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4592.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4593.JPG
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. It looks like you have an old-style Certainteed coil balance assembly. We do offer the new-style 15-192 Certainteed pivot shoe but past customers have reported that they needed to shave the front of the shoe down to install it in their window jamb. 

We also offer a conversions video shown below that works for Certainteed coil balances, as well as Simonton. Take a look and review the full process below. 

Thank you. Do you have any instructions for shaving the 15-192 Certainteed pivot shoe down?
Profile picture of Casey

There are no written instructions for this process but you would take a utility knife and carefully shave off a little bit at a time until the shoe fits snugly in the window jamb. I would also recommend trying to install it before making any modifications in case it fits as is. 

Thanks. Could you list the parts I'll need to do the repair with the 15-192 Certainteed pivot shoe?
Profile picture of Casey
See our video below that explains the parts that are needed for the Certainteed coil balance, as well as how to assemble it for installation. 
My current coils don't have numbered stamped on them. How do I know which of the Series S170 I should get?
Profile picture of Casey

To determine the correct strength option without the coil stamps, you'll need to remove and weight the window sash. Then, you'll divide the total weight by the number of coils used on both sides of the window, which will give you the necessary strength option. 

What unit of measurement should I use for the weight in my calculation?
The sash weighs 6 lbs and 13 ounces.
Profile picture of Casey

You would weigh the sash on a standard bathroom scale to confirm the exact weight in pounds. For a sash just shy of 7 pounds, I would recommend using one of the S170-263 on each side of the window. 

I just want to double check that S170-263 is the right spring, if there are 2 springs on each side? I attached a picture - the arrows show where there is a spring. My previous photos on June 25 show the springs with the coil and the shoe removed from the assembly.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4618.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

I actually suspect that you originally had one coil on each side and when the coil broken, it seperated into two pieces. I also only see one 15-156 spring cover, which would indicate that you only had one coil. 

Regardless, you can use one coil on each side to support the sash weight you've provided. The number of coils isn't important as long as the strength options will support the sash weight when added together. Hope this helps. 

Hi, I need a Series 170 spring for a different window. The spring doesn't have a stamped number. The sash weighs 15 lbs. It is supported by 2 springs. Which spring should I buy? The one that supports 7 lbs each, or 8 lbs each?
Profile picture of Casey

The rule of thumb with coil balances is that as long as the total support is within one pound of the exact sash weight, the window will function properly. Using one S170-407 on each side would support 14-pounds while using the S170-408 will support 16-pounds. Since both springs are strong enough to support within 1 pound of your actual sash weight, either option should work for your repair. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.