OC BS1 channel window balancer

A quick learner from Rolla, MO says:
Trying to figure out how to re-attach the channel spring/string assembly to the shoe at the bottom.

thanks!
More recently discovered that the shoe, being plastic except for the lock mechanism, has broken where it would have attached over one of the rungs on the spring/string balancing mechanism (the long channeled item). Can I get advised re: how to replace the shoe?
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm afraid I can't identify what you may have from this description. In order to help, I would need to see an undamaged balance removed from the window along with any attachments or pivot shoes. 

Hello:

And thanks for your reponse. I've attached photos but the undamaged assembly is still in the window jam. This is because I don't know how to remove the shoe from the jam. I suspect some type of spread, which I don't have, is needed. I hope this photo will suffice. I also added photos from the damaged one. I hope these will work. Let me know if you need anything else.

Respectfully,

Jeff 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0565.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0564.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0563.jpg
One more photo!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0566.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

To remove the T-lock shoe, you just tilt it out and twist it so that the "T" is vertical instead of horizontal. It should just slip out of the jamb after that.

As for the balance, it appears you have the Series 795. This part installs at the top of the window jamb with a screw tab but I think yours may use a 15-195 hook instead. Can you confirm that for me? Can you also confirm the stamp imprinted on the metal channel? If it indeed uses a hook, this will have to be a custom order. 

Note, the Series 795 comes attached with the 15-195 closed cam T-lock shoe by default so I recommend you compare the specifications with your old shoe once you remove it from the jamb. 

Good Morning:

Thanks again for your response. I can confirm that the balance installs at the top with a "hook." The stamp on the metal channel is: 20C. Off to the right of that stamp is "BSI," oriented vertically in smaller letters. And of the right of that is "TV" oriented normally.

By the way, there's nothing damaged on either channel. It's just the shoe-locks that appear damaged. I can't re-secure the channels to them.

Thanks,

Jeff 

Profile picture of Emily

Sure, so if you wanted to replace only the shoes see the 15-195 or 15-194 depending on your original. Please note, when these shoes break it often indicates that the balances aren't too far behind. Just something to keep in mind!

I appreciate the guidence. If I only get the shoes for now, how do I figure out which ones to order? And, considering what you shared earlier re: how to remove the shoes from the jam, the video shows how to attach the balance channel and the shoe together but does not show how to replace them, together, back into the jam. Is there a video that shows how to do that too. I just imagine it requiring some very sophisticated geometric positionings!

Thanks,

Jeff
Profile picture of Emily

Once you remove your old shoe, you will have to compare the specifications of the 15-195 and 15-194 with yours to see if one of these matches up. If you're still not sure, upload a photo of the shoe you have now once it's removed and we can work from there. 

I'm afraid we don't have a video dedicated to how to replace the Series 795 but I recommend you take a look at the video below starting at the 3:15 mark. This will show you how to install the S795 into the jamb. I hope this helps!

Hi Emily:

Actually, that video is exactly what I needed! Thank you.

Now, determining which of the two shoe locks I currently have is tricky. On the one hand the current one (see photo attached) is exactly the same as 15-195, but the confusing part is that it also has the green part that is on the 15-194. And, the only ID numbers are just pat. #s.

So, I don't know which one to order. Can you offer a recommendation?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0568.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

I'm glad it helped! As for the shoe, you would want the 15-194 T-lock shoe based on what I see here. 

Alternate view of 15-194
Alternate view of 15-194

Alternate view of 15-194
Alternate view of 15-194

I see. Okay, what's my next step to ordering a couple of those?

Thanks,

Jeff
Profile picture of Emily

You can place an order for this part directly on our website at your convenience or by calling (888) 991-1929!

Ok, thank you for all your help!
Profile picture of Emily

My pleasure! Let me know if I can be of further assistance and best of luck with the repair! 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.