Old Balance from metal hung window

A handy person from Brooklyn, N.Y. says:
Dear Sirs,

I am looking to replace 2 balances that were damaged when they removed from the hung metal window they belonged to. These balances had a flat bottom with a single screw that went into the window. The screw was so rusted we could not extract it and wound up drilling through the bracket on the balance to remove it.

The case on the balance is 20 7/8" from end to end.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Carl. This balance was made by a company who is now out of business. That said, you may be able to substitute it with our S500-21. You would also need to use our 17-012 metal bracket. We don't have that nylon guide on the end of the spiral, but you should consider using our 67-002 nylon face guide. This is screwed on the face of the sash. You will also need our charging tool, so check out our 75-005 and the guide below to see how this works.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)