Help with Pivot Shoe ID

A contractor from Rockland,MA says:
I am trying to find a replacement balance and shoe for an older double hung window (15+ years). One of the shoes just broke, but I would like to replace both side while already in there.
The sash weighs 16lbs
The existing shoe is 2" H x 1 1/4" wide.
The color on the balance tip is yellow.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey Jim. Your shoe closely resembles our 15-046, but you should carefully compare the dimensions we show to your own hardware just to make sure. Remember that the most important dimensions for pivot shoes are thickness and width.
A contractor from Rockland, MA says:
Thanks Paul, it sure does, as luck would have it the only dimension I do not have, is the depth. I am going to swing by the house tomorrow to verify the measurement. Can you recommend the appropriate spiral balance (based on the photos I sent) to go with these pivot shoes, so I can replace them as well. Thanks for the help.
Jim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Based on your picture, it appears that the diameter of the outer tube on your balance is 3/8". Can you confirm? If so, then you should check out our Series 900 spiral balance. If it's 5/8" or 9/16", though, then you should see our Series 600 instead.
A contractor from Rockland,MA says:
Yes Tom, the diameter is 3/8''.
I guess my question is on the length. I'm measuring 28 7/8'' on the length with the white cover sleeve on and 28 5/8'' with it off. Do I purchase a 28'' or a 29'' balance?
If you look at the photos the balance is covered in a white plastic sleeve (which can be removed), it is slightly longer than the metal balance inside. All my measurements are end to end they do not including the balance tip, just tube length.
Thanks,
Jim
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If the outer tube measures 28-7/8", then I think it'd be a good idea to go up to 29".
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.