Patio Glass Sliding Door Handles and locks

Quick Learner from Kapolei HI
Aug 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Aloha,

See uploaded photo of handles and mortise. Mortise is inside of glass door and not sure how to remove. Only note on handles that is was made in New Zealand.

Right side of lever in photo latch is broken and believe this was the lever to lower the door latch. Left side of handle / lever is the mortise. Again not sure how the mortise is removed from the interior frame to replace.

Jerry 

20190816_073256 20190816_104232
2 user uploaded images
6 Replies
Aug 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Aloha,

More information:

The two levers are broken and the left side handle that locks, is working only the top latch is moving, not the lower hooked latch. The left side lever will not move. I believe this side of the patio door moves the rod to up and down to lock the door in place at top and bottom of rail. I have lubricated both sides.

Thank you!!

Jerry

Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jerry. Beginning with your handle set, our 82-080 appears that it can work on your door. Look it over and let us know if you agree. Moving on to your mortise lock, take a look over our 82-268B. These are not easy to replace. There should be a cap running the entire length of the side of the door that needs to be removed. If this sounds a little on the confusing side, please let us know and we will go into more detail with it. 

Aug 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Aloha Dave,

Yes I see the cap, not sure if this just snaps off. No Screws that I can see. Do you have instruction or a video of the removal and installation of the mortise?

The right side of the door, has a cap and has the mechanism that lowers the a rod to secure top and bottom. This mechanism is stuck and does not move, even after using penetrating oil. Do you sell this mechanism? Both of the levers are broken and will require new ones.

Your help is appreciated!!

Jerry

Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm afraid that we don't have a video on this door or how to remove that cap. I've actually never dealt with it myself, personally, but I would imagine that it has to pry off. You just want to be careful not to damage it, since I doubt you'll find a replacement for that cap anywhere. If you're really having a hard time getting it off then I'd recommend seeking the help of a local handy person.

I'm not sure about this other mechanism you describe. I'd have to see a photo of it to be sure.

Aug 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Aloha Dave,

Removing the cap trim was simple. Placed flat head screwdriver in space between trim and door frame and turned screw driver ever so slightly to enlarge opening. Used this procedure down the entire length, with no issues. I will be purchasing the Mortise, and two latches. Not sure what the cover plate does, please explain. It was in one of the suggested parts. This item has the same logo that is on my handles. Do you know the name of the manufacturer?

Mahalo

Jerry

20190822_104342 20190822_104401
2 user uploaded images
Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Aug 26, 2019 9:04 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Awesome! I thought that might be the case. I'm glad that it was a simple process. 

As for the cover plate, you don't have to worry about that if you don't have it. It's a tertiary part for the 89-042 keeper, which sometimes pairs with the 82-268B mortise. It doesn't go directly on the door itself or anything.

As for the manufacturer, I'm afraid I don't know. This hardware is generic and was used by a couple different companies, and probably more that I'm not even aware of. Sorry!

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts