Patriot double hung tilt Series 2200 installed 1996

A home owner from Milford, CT says:
I'm having trouble with Patriot double hung tilt windows Series 2200 that were installed throughout our house in 1996. The windows have become very difficult to slide open and closed. Some of the windows have responded to using WD40 and silicone lubricant on the spiral balances, but some are still not responding to that treatment and likely need to be replaced, along with the pivot shoe. I've viewed your video for replacing a spiral balance and pivot shoes in tilt windows, however there appears to be no slot in the window casing to remove and replace the pivot shoes.

1. Can you advise on how I would replace the pivot shoe if there is no slot? I've attached pictures of the widow, spiral balance and pivot shoe.

2. What would be the correct replacement spiral balance to order?

3. What would be the correct replacement pivot shoe?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! I'll answer your questions one at a time.

1. There are two methods of removing a pivot shoe if there is no slot in place: you could either cut a slot out yourself, or use a special tool to spread the jamb. I'll relate two tutorial videos at the end of the post that walks you through both projects.

2. Your spiral balance is either the Series 900, with a 3/8" diameter tube, or the Series 600, with a 5/8" diameter tube. Just by eyeballing yours, I'd bet you have the Series 600, but you should measure the tube just to be sure.

3. There could be a few options for the pivot shoe. It depends on its width and thickness. Some parts to look at first are our 15-015 and 15-046, but there are others. See what you think.

That should be everything. Here are the videos I mentioned:

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.