Patriot window balance issues

A quick learner from NJ says:
I have Patriot single hung windows used by Hovnanian builders in NJ. I have been using Swisco parts to repair them but one window has a problem I cant diagnose. The balances, shoes and lock latches seem good. When I close this sash from the the bottom I cannot lock the right latch which is out of alighnment. If I reopen it and shut it from the top pressing it in at the same time, the window closes sufficiently to lock. The lock is a very tight fit though. The sash does not seem to rock anymore than any other window in the house. Any thoughts on how to repair it?

PS I have several sashes where the latch closes but very tightly. Is there a repair for this.
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It definitely sounds like the sash isn't closing all the way. There could be many different reasons for this, including a warped or unaligned window frame. However if the same problem is happening on all windows then odds are it's an issue with hardware choice.

The first thing I would look into is whether the balances you bought are the same size as the originals. Even a fractional difference in length would lead to the balance cords not being long enough; if they aren't long enough, the balance wouldn't have enough travel to allow the window to close all the way, which would explain the issue you're having.

The window in question, where I have to close it from the top (but not the bottom) and simultaneously push in the sash to keep it straight, has all the original parts that came with it 25 years ago. It otherwise seemes to work OK when in alighnmnent except that the lock on the right side is tight when acctuated. When the sash closes from the bottom the two parts of the right side lock dont come close to aligning. I am thinking I will just put in new pivot shoes and balances to see if that controls the sash whennit travles up and down.

The additional sashes that lock, but tightly, had the problem before I replaced parts. In my window project, some windows only received a good cleaning and lubrication and others new parts. I find the Slider Slicker applied to both sides of the locks helps. Dry lube and silicone sprays on the locks does not. When yo try to actutae a "tight" lock latch you can see the vinyl sash part flex as the lock engages the keeper. The locks and keepers are tight and intact

The parts I did replace matched exctly with the new parts I purchased. 18 of my 22 windows use an S600-28" red tip balance. The 15-046 pivot shoes is used in all the windows and also match exactly and work great. All my "bad" windows had broken pivot shoes. Thank
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, maybe I can help. I have a few thoughts concerning what might be going wrong. 

First, you say you have changed the balances in the windows. The first thing you want to do is to just check to see if they are in fact the correct length. A difference in size, no matter how minor, would lead to this issue.

The next thought is that the window was installed out of square when it was first put in. The only way to cure that would be to re-install the window correctly, which is a huge project. I would definitely get a local professional to come out and do it for you.

My final thought would be to shim up the keeper on the top sash. Take a look at the 90-058 keeper shim. I have used this in the past to help in the locking of the windows. Take note that if the 90-058 hole centers don't match the ones on your keepers, you can always re-drill the holes in the 90-058 to match.

Thanks for the reply Dave. It would be great if i could adjust/shim the keeper but I think I have a different style keeper. It is flat and slides into a slot. I pulled it out and photographed it. I am 90% sure its a 90-237. The lock I have is a 90-305. Any way to adjust these or substitute a different keeper or lock?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20221030_140514.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20221030_140530.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20221030_142234.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I agree, that's definitely a match for our 90-237. These can only be adjusted in the sense that you can use one of the other mounting hole templates to install this on the sash, which would make it sit higher or lower. You could also use the shims I mentioned, which would pack it out to sit forward.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.