Pivot Shoe Removal Question

A quick learner from NJ says:
I have some Silverline 1000 series double hung windows that I would like to replace the pivot shoes. I ordered your Jamb Spreaders and Spiral balance charging tool. Now upon closer inspection, it looks like I have what looks like your Series 765 balance in the window. What tool do I need to remove the pivot shoe? Obviously, the charging tool isn't for this type of balance. I've looked at your various videos on your website (which are very helpful), but I could not find one that dealt with a non-spiral balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You're right, you don't need a charging tool. Removing these balances is pretty simple, fortunately. First, tilt in the window sash and, with needle-nose pliers, gently pull down the balance to unhook it form the shoe. Unscrew the balance at the top and you should be free to remove it.

Then, you just need to follow the instructions in the video below to remove the shoe. Reverse the process to replace your hardware.
A quick learner from NJ says:
OK, it was as simple as it sounds. I was able to remove the hook on the channel balance from the pivot shoe with a needle nose pliers. Used your jamb spreaders to remove the pivot shoe from the channel and replaced the broken pivot bar on the sash. Was able to fix a number of broken windows. Tenant is happy now, so I'm happy! To make it simple for other home owners that have older Silver Line double hung windows, here is a list of the parts I used:
Window: Silver Line
MFR: SIL-1
Series: 1000DH
Type: Double Hung

26-412 : Flared Pivot Bar, 2-1/2"
15-046 : Pivot Shoe, 1/2" Thick
75-069 : Jamb Spreaders

Thank you for the help.
A home owner from Rindge, Nh says:

I have Vinyl paradigm window and the balance cam in now of my windows is broken. I need to order one and then ask you the question as to how I can this balance cam out without purchasing these very expensive Jam Spreaders? I know the problem, I need the part and I ask for some assistance in removing the old jam and replacing with a new one. I even think that it might be cheaper to have someone install it for me. Thank you very much and appreciate your assistance. I love the windows.

Paul

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Paul. By cam, are you referring to the pivot shoe? If so, I always advise against purchasing our jamb spreaders unless you're a professional who is preparing to repair many, many windows. If you're just doing a quick repair job on a single window there is an easier (and less expensive) option, though it takes a little more work.

Basically, the way pivot shoes are meant to be removed is by sliding it up to a cut out made in the jamb track, usually near the top of the frame. The shoe would then pop out of that cutout. If you have no such existing cutout then the simple answer is that you need to make one. The video below will show you exactly how this can be done.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.