Pivot Shoe and Tilt Latch

A handy person from Florida says:
I need to replace a broken tilt latch for a patio window, and I believe I have found the right part for that item (26-393B). I also need to replace a couple Pivot Shoes but have not been able to identify the exact item. The closest I could fins was #15-192. The pictures attached are of the shoe and of the sticker on the window. There is no brand name so I am having trouble zeroing in on the correct parts. Can you guide me to the right parts, both the latches and shoes?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210904_150924 (1).jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

Thank you for your patience during this busy season. Can you show us some pictures of your original tilt latch? 

We don't have an exact match for this pivot shoe, but take a look at the 15-259, which uses the Series 159 coil balances. We highly recommend watching the video below, which will walk you through the entire installation process. 

Emily,

Thank you for your responses.

The tilt latch looks almost exactly like #26-393B. (pix below with full window and window locks and tilt latch)

And, unless I am mistaken there is no counter balance or coil spring. I think that this is just a friction stop/hold type of setup. I am not super experienced, but I did not see a coil spring or, for lack of a better term, twist/spiral spring in the window. It seemed like it was just held in place by the shoe it self. This is going to sound so dumb, but I don't hear any "sproing", "tinking", "scratchy" sounds that would tell me there is some weight relief going on.

I could not find a brand name so that is why I sent a pix of the label on the side.

The window is at my mother-in-laws house so if I need to look for any more clues for you I will need to check it out this weekend.

Thanks so much for your patience.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1433.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1432.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1431.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Take a look at our 26-243 and 26-244 tilt latches as well and compare our dimensions to yours to see if this could be a better match. 

Hmm, that's very odd. We've seen your particular pivot shoe many times and they've always been accompanied by coil springs. We suggest triple checking the windows, just to be sure.  

Emily,

I appreciate your quick response. Thank you.

When I get back to my mother-in-laws house I will compare the dimensions of the tilt latches for the best fit.

Now, the pivot shoe: I asked my wife, who is at the house, to feel and search for a flat coil spring running along the inside of the channel and above the shoe for a block or a jig holding a coil spring and she could not find one. And there was no evidence of a spiral balance. Yes, wierd. I will send her a link to the YouTube video you sent me so she has a better idea, buy my wife is a very smart lady and when she looks at the video she will be able to tell if she missed anything.

If you can be patient with me here is what I would like to do for next steps:
- Please keep this case open, I need some time to get back to my mother-in-laws house to collect some details.
- Now that we have talked I will dig in deep on the window
- Remove the shoe completely to clearly identify if there is any spring or counter balance attach.
- Take clear pictures of the shoe along with measurements.
- Clear pictures of the channel and window path for you to be able to analyze.
- Can you accept video's? If so, I can shoot a quick scan of the window so you can stop and start to help with the analysis.

Please understand if we can identify the right parts I will buy a few sets, because these have been baking in the ruthless Florida sun for years and are getting pretty brittle.

I will have a computer at my disposal and my cell phone so I will be able to send the info, pix and vids from the site.

Thank you again and have a great day.
UPDATE:

Emily,

Like I said, my wife is very smart and I am glad she is helping with this. If you look at the one picture you can see a double wheel configuration half way up the channel. I absolutely missed this. If this configuration is familiar to you, let me know. When I can get to the house this weekend, I will look at this very closely and make measurements and understand the configuration better so I can describe it to you.

I still want to follow my previous steps so we can find the parts needed.

Thanks again your patience.

Craig
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1434.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1435.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Hi, Craig.

We've seen this set up plenty of times. Those double wheels are the coil spring's housing! The pivot shoe in your initial picture looks like a Simonton balance assembly that is no longer made, but we have more modern parts that can be used as a replacement. Take a look at the video below that will walk you through repairing your window coil balance. If you have any questions just let me know.

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.