Pivot cam

A quick learner from Lancaster New York says:
I can find no discernible identification markings on my window. Fairly certain this is or resembles your product code 15 - 177
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210429_150749.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210429_144058.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Yes, this looks like our 15-177 Pivot Shoe to me. Let me know if you have further questions. 

A handy person from Lancaster New York says:
What spring balance is needed with that 15-177 pivot shoe? Can only the metal cam pivots be removed and replaced. What is the appropriate spring balance for a sash appx 19 lbs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1620311922698762959365987208744.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

The 15-175 uses our Series 152 Coil Balances. I highly advise getting the exact sash weight. If it weighs exactly 19 pounds or a little more, then use four(4) S152-5 5 pound springs. Use a pair on either side of the window sash. This equals 20 pounds of support overall. Being within 1 pound of the exact sash weight works fine, but that's why it's critical to confirm the weight precisely. 

If by cam pivot you mean the metal cam within the 15-177, no I am afraid these are not sold separately. If you need pivot bars, the metal pins that connect with the pivot shoe, this system often uses our 26-226, 26-446, or 26-466, but you'd need to remove and compare to see if any of these are what you need. 

I have a 20 lb lower sash Is installing slightly larger balance springs,such as two 6lb coils on each side, give you an easier lifting sash?
Profile picture of Bob

No, you don't want to do that. Stronger springs will actually make the window more difficult to operate. If the springs are too strong then the window will become harder to close, and could even drift up on its own. You want to stick with what you have.

The photos below are of the removed and presently installed balance springs from the same 20.3 lb sash. Is the #6 and #8 stamp on coil housing indicative of the coil weight rating? Im guessing mixing 2-6 lbs with 2-8 lbs was an incorrect selection. I hope those were not Factory Originals. LOL. Questions:
1)Is stacking on each other with both spring coils running down the same side of the track the correct application?
2)Being my sash is 20.3 lbs are 4-5lbs coils still correct?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210506_125106.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210506_124528.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210512_105908.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. Bob's original recommendations seem to be on point; the 15-177 shoe with a Series 152 spring is definitely what you want.

If your sash is only 20.3 pounds then you can get away with using 5 pound weight options per spring. With two springs per side that adds up to 20 pounds of support which should be perfectly fine. 

I can't speak for whether or not the original installers used the wrong hardware or not but it wouldn't shock me. People can be very careless when it comes to this kind of thing. They'll put in any old part they have laying around the bed of their truck instead of doing the actual legwork to figure out what's really needed. I spend half my day cleaning up those kind of messes 10, 15 years after they're made. Nothing surprises me anymore.

As for which side to screw the coils, I don't think it matters too much. I see a ton of windows where the two springs are screwed onto the same hole in the shoe, but I see an equal number of windows where the springs are screwed to opposite sides. You should be fine just screwing them to the same side.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.