Please help identifying GA Aluminum Window parts

A home owner from Quarantine in Snellville, GA says:

Hi! I have enclosed pictures of my badly damaged aluminum window parts that I need help identifying.

IMG_20200325_173118.jpg: This is what remains of the top sash guide. It appears to be broken at the top (near side in the photo). Shown installed in IMG_20200325_174756.jpg

IMG_20200325_173235: This is the bottom of the channel balance. It measures 29 1/4" and is stamped 2930 B.S.I. (see IMG_20200325_173503)

IMG_20200325_173320: Top of the channel balance - holding the broken top guide in place.

I will have many of these to fix once I (we) identify the correct series. Please let me know if there is additional information or pictures I can provide.

Thanks,

Chris

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200325_173404.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200325_173118.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200325_173235.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200325_173320.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200325_174756.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Chris. This balance looks like either our Series 351 or Series 390. The only difference between these two balances is the depth, or 'heel-to-toe' measurement, of the bottom nylon shoe, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. Please double-check the length of the metal channel; do not include the nylon fittings in this measurement. A length ending in an X-1/4" increment would be pretty unusual for these balances, so we want to be sure.

For your Top Sash Guide, see our 18-066. Look it over and see what you think.

Thanks Bob! I found an intact window top sash guide and the 18-066 looks exactly right.

The heel to toe measurement on a bottom of the channel balance shoe is 1", suggesting the Series 351 is the right model.

I can confirm with multiple windows, including some that appear never to have been removed from the sash, that the length of the aluminum portion of the channel balance is really 29 1/4". Weird, right? The stamp on all of the channel balances I examined is "2930", and all have the same length.

With this in mind, if the channel balance isn't really broken, just creaky with broken top guides, it seems better just to replace the top guides and lubricate the parts for better operation - than to risk replacing with an incorrectly sized channel balance. Reasonable? If there is a video that you can point me to with how to replace the top guides on channel balances, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Chris

Profile picture of Bob

Hey Chris. If the balances seem otherwise undamaged, this would be best. Not only would our even length balances not work, I am afraid we do not carry X-1/4" length balances of any sort. If the balances are not damaged, a silicone-based spray to lubricate the track as well as replacing the top sash guides should do the job. For details on how to remove and replace top sash guides, see the video below.

Profile picture of Bob

Glad we could help Chris! Let us know if you need anything else, and many thanks for your business. We really do appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help Bob: I will put the top sash guides on order now and follow the video for guidance.

Several of my channel balances have damaged plastic top guides, and it looks like there is a riveted brad that hold it in place. Do you have instructions for replacing this part of the channel balance - I will put some of this part on order as well.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Chris Kohanek
Bob,

Please disregard the last request: I found the video I need and will place an order for all the parts I need now.

You guys are great with your customer service and I am glad I found you as a source for these parts.

Chris Kohanek

Hi Bob,

Replacing the top sash guides and other broken bits and lubricating the works make these windows feel new. Thanks for all of this advice.

Last question - My wife pointed out one more window in the house of the same type only smaller that needs repair. These channel balances are trashed (cord is mangled, springs are missing or broken). It is stamped "1720" and the metal portion measures 17.25 inches as feared. I understand that you don't carry the x.25" sizes - what is the best way to repair? Order the 18" 1720 channel balance and modify it to cut it down to the right length and replacing the top of the channel balance? Let me know what you think.

Thanks again for all of your help on this repair.

Chris

Profile picture of Bob

Hey Chris. Glad the windows are working smoothly again. As far as this other window, such an adaptation is theoretically possible, but it's really not something we can recommend doing. I am honestly not optimistic that it would work right. For such a project you would definitely want a local professional to attempt it; it could be pretty difficult and I wouldn't try doing it myself, personally. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the advice Bob as always!

Chris

Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure Chris. Let us know if you need anything else!

A handy person from Oklahoma City says:
I need to identify this part
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5541.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5541.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This looks very similar in design to our 15-204 coil balance cover, which is designed to retain coil springs like our Series 165 in the frame of the window. Look it over and see what you think!

Note that these coil balance assemblies are not sold as a unit; each component is sold separately. If you did need the other components, we'll need clear photos of each one so that we can match them up in our inventory.

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.