Replace coil balance?

A home owner from Washington 98058 says:
Top/bottom slide window. The bottom one works. The top part with the tail end spring coil balance sticking out always have the top window slides down.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, we should be able to help with this! Can you remove the coil from the window, so we can get a better look?

Please see attached
Please see attached
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. Your new photos don't show anything your first photo didn't, but take a look at our Series 140 coil balance system. I think this may be what you want. Let me know what you think!

Can you tell me what size or weight of the series 140 to get?
Profile picture of Tom

It would depend on the weight of your sash. Typically, these balances have a number stamped on the front of the cover that tell you what you want, but I don't see that in your photos.  You'll probably have to weigh your sash on a scale.

You'll note that each Series 140 balance indicates a weight; for example, our S140-15 indicates it can carry 15 pounds. This weight is multiplied by 2 to cover the weight of the sash. That means having one S140-15 balance on each side of the window will carry 29-30.99 pounds. Hopefully that makes sense.

I see "8" on the cover but your 8 lb is a single coil. Will it fit? Will it help if I take more pictures? If so, What are you looking for from the pictures that I should trying to get images? Thanks very much.
Profile picture of Tom

I don't think more pictures will help at this point. If your old balance is stamped with "8" then that means that each side carries 8 pounds. Our S140-8 also carries 8 pounds per side regardless of how many springs it has. It could have one or a dozen, as long as it carries the same weight as your original then it doesn't really matter. They'll do the same job.

Thank you. I want to change both sides so I would get your S140-8 left and right? And which Side I should install S140-8L - would it be left side facing the window or turning the back to window?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm actually not sure; I believe "left" and "right" is determined from the inside looking out, but every window manufacturer does it differently and it changes all the time. If your old balances lack a left or right hand marking, then I would try it from the inside looking out first. If it doesn't work, just switch them.

Thank you very much for all your support. The pair that I ordered should arrive next week
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.