Replace coil balance

A home owner from Pennsylvania, USA says:
How do you know exactly what parts to buy to fit your window? I need all the parts shown in the video but not sure which size/etc. to buy. Attached is a photo of the sticker at the top of my window left by the installer years ago.
Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4916.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

This sticker doesn't tell us what hardware your window uses, I'm afraid. The best and only way for us to ID your hardware is to see it removed from the window to compare to our inventory. It sounds like you may need a new coil balance so if that's the case, we'd need to see an undamaged pivot shoe removed from the track. If we can identify that, it will tell us what coil springs you'll need.

Thank you!

I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I'm reluctant to take out the undamaged pivot shoe for fear of damaging it and having another broken window.

Attached are two photos, one of a pivot shoe in a working window and one of the pivot shoe and the broken coil from the broken window. Please let me know if this helps identify the correct part. Or if there is any other way you could help me.

Thanks so much!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4946.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4947 2.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for the additional pictures! Your hardware looks like a good match for our 15-177 that's designed to use the Series 152 coil springs. There should be a stamped number on the band of the spring that will indicate what coil weight to choose. Look this part over and let me know if you had any questions. 

Thank you! I looked at the coil spring and don't see a stamp anywhere. Is there another way to figure out what weight I need?
Profile picture of Emily

Sure, you can weigh your sash on a scale. If you can tell me the precise weight of your sash along with the total number of coils in the window, I can work out what you need from there. 

The sash weighs 18 lbs. Each window has two coils, one on each side. I have two windows that are broken.

Thank you again!!
Profile picture of Emily

My pleasure! Thanks for confirming that for me. With a sash weight of 18 pounds, you can use (1) S152-9 9 pound spring on each side of the window which totals 18 pounds of overall support. 

Thanks again!
Profile picture of Emily

You got it!

I'm sorry to ask one more question. I weighed another sash and it was 15 pounds. Would I go with a 7 or 8 lb. spring?

Thank you
Profile picture of Emily

No need to apologize; we're here to help! You can actually go with either a 7 or 8 pound spring. Either will be okay as long as the coil weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight. The decision is ultimately yours! 

Thank you!
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.