Replacement Parts For Tilt Window

A handy person from Westerville, Ohio says:
I have attached a photo of the parts that I need replaced for my tilt out window. The spiral balance has an outer plastic tube that measures 28" in length, 9/16" in diameter and has a blue tip. The locking shoe measures 2 1/8" tall, 1 1/4" wide and 1/2" deep. It has the number 530C as an identifier on it. The window weights 24.5 lbs. I will need two each of these parts and also a tension adjusting tool. Also, since I had to make a cutout to remove the show, I will need two sash stops, 3 inches in length. The opening 3/4" wide. I have uploaded a photo of the spriral balance and the locking show. Thanks for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0837.jpg
Just to clarify on the sash stop. In your video on how to remove the locking shoe, you show how to trim the sides of the window. In that video is a sash stop that fits in the opening and covers the cutout.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. The Spiral Balance appears to be our 600-28 with a Blue Tip. For a charging tool, see the 75-006. For a 1/2" thick Pivot Shoe that is 1-1/4" wide, see our 15-046. Finally, see the video below that shows how to remove a pivot shoe via a cutout method. 

I received and installed the S600-28 blue tip spiral balances. My question is, with the window up (the spring retracted), how many turns of preload is it safe to apply to this spring without damaging the spring?
Also, how do you know when enough tension has been applied. Do you measure pressure required to open versus pressure required to close?
Profile picture of Bob

If the window sash is dropping, add tension by rotating clockwise; don't exceed more than two full turns at a time, and do both sides equally. Repeat process once if needed. If sash is pulling up, then there's too much tension, and you should rotate the rod counter-clockwise one turn on each side. If the window is stable and can open and close smoothly, then you've hit the right amount of tension. 

Thanks. How about the first part of my question? How many turns can be applied before it creates the risk of the balance failing/breaking.
Profile picture of Bob

I wouldn't advise going more than six or seven total turns, personally. At best, it's redundant at that point. At worst, you'll break the balance. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.