Replacement Sash parts

A quick learner from USA says:
I think my coils are not broken. The plastic housings are broken. Do I just buy the coil housings? Are there more than one type?

Here is a picture of an almost working balance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_67128833.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_67212033.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_67154177.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_67182849.JPG
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

I would recommend removing your coil balance assembly from the window to compare to the 15-087 housing pivot, S180 coil springs, as well as the parts listed under the related items section of each product page. 

If only the 15-087 housing is broken, then that is all you would need to replace but, depending on the age of your coil balances and the condition of the rest of the hardware, you may want to consider replacing the entire assembly. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for your response. My tandem coil measures more than 4" with the springs attached to the 16-024 mounting bracket. I will cut a 2-1/2" slot at the top of the track. Can the tandem coil be separated and reassembled inside the track?
Profile picture of Casey

Though it can be a tricky process, you will need to install the coil balance assembly as one piece since there would be no way to attach the additional spring housing to the 15-087 while it is in the window. It does require manipulating the assembly to get it inside of the cutout but it can be done. Unfortunately, these are designed to be troublesome to install to encourage homeowners to replace the window rather than repair them. 

Can the cutout be shorter than the length of the balances so that the 3" sash stop can be reused?
Profile picture of Casey

The cutout is not normally as long as the entire balance, which is why it can be a bit tricky to get the assembly inside the jamb. If you haven't already, take a look at our cutout video below. 

Thanks for the video. That's pretty much what I thought I would have to do. Can the 087 be removed with just the back cut out as shown in video?
Profile picture of Casey

Yes, this cut-out process would be the same for most of the pivot shoes that we carry, including the 15-087. It will require manipulating the shoe to remove the original and install the new assembly, but it can be done by following the process shown in our video. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.