Replacement balance for simonton window

A home owner from Oak Island, NC says:

Need to replace balance on left and right side of window (picture of liable attached. Sash weighs 16/17 lbs. can you tell be replacement parts to purchase? Coil is 1/2 inch wide. Appears to be double coil.

Thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 708EA594-442B-422B-9682-840DBB5E8502.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8BCB8FF3-4A71-411C-B8CB-AA5A98D8244E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 91B58E62-17F6-44CC-8CBE-CDDF3BA3F351.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! This pivot shoe looks like a good match for our 15-111. This is designed to be used with the 1/2" thick Series 160 coil spring. Look these parts over and let me know if you had any questions!

How can I determine if my balance is a double coil? If it is, what are the total parts needed to replace existing parts? Do the parts come configured with the coils attached? Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom

The only way to determine if you have a double coil setup is to count the springs. If your springs have all come unwound, as they appear to be in your photos, then remove the cover and see how many springs it can accommodate. It should be evident how many springs the cover can hold.

The Series 160 is compatible with multiple different covers, depending on how many springs per side you have. Those are our 15-150S, 15-150D, and 15-150D.

These products are all sold separately and are not available as a complete kit.

Are these the parts I need:

2 pivot shoes 15-111
4 coils (1/2") S-160-5 (sash weighs 16-17 lbs)
2 dbl supports 1/2" 15-150D
2 pivot bars (which one pairs with 15-111 pivot shoe?)

Do I need:
2 detention clips 15-181
2 or 4 bumpers 15-148

Thank you
Profile picture of Tom

If your sash weight is 16-17 pounds then using four S160-5 springs will probably be too much. If your total balance support exceeds the weight of your sash by that much then you will have trouble closing the window. My recommendation to you is to first get the exact weight of the sash and try to get as close to that as you can with the springs you're using. If your sash is exactly 16 pounds, for example, you want to use four 4 pound springs.

As for pivot bar, the 15-111 is compatible with many, many different kinds. I would need to see your original in order to ID a match, ideally in undamaged condition and removed from the window.

You would not purchase the 15-181 detention clip. That's for an entirely different balance system and is not related to what you have in any way. The 15-150D cover is what you want to fill that role, assuming you're going to use two springs. As for the 15-148 bumper, you can get it if you want but it's not a necessary part. If your old system didn't have it then you don't have to worry about it.

The rule of thumb is to replace your balance system with exactly what you have now, no more and no less. Don't worry about what other parts you should add to it or change. Stick with what you have and it'll work perfectly fine.

How do I install the double support into the coils? Does the support need to be inserted into coils prior to inserting the pivot shoe/coil assembly into jamb ? Is there a video of how/order theses parts get assembled in the jamb?
Profile picture of Tom

The coils nest inside the support prior to installation in the window. You will need to put the entire coil balance assembly in the window together, not piece by piece. I know this seems very difficult but that is how they're designed.

We don't have a video on this exact assembly, but we do have a video that shows you the basic principles. Hopefully this helps. 

I want to stress that installing a coil balance assembly like this can be frustrating. There isn't really any trick to it, it just takes patience. 

Successfully installed! Thanks for all your guidance!
Profile picture of Tom

You're welcome! Please let me know if we can be of any assistance in the future.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.