Replacement of Channel Balances

A home owner from Temple, Texas says:
Hello:
I have two different size Channel Balances and need help ordering the correct ones; I cannot find any stamp options with regard to the weight of the sash.

All of the windows are made by Andersen and they are labeled either 28 3 IL Caldwell and 16 2 IL Caldwell.

Looking forward to your response; feel free to call me on my cell if necessary.
Gary
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The "stamp option" is just the code that is printed on the metal. It sounds like the codes you listed, 28 3 and 16 2, probably are the stamp options. They're from a slightly different system than the one that is used today. Usually, 28 3 is a modern "2830" and 16 2 is a modern "1620." However, due to the time that's gone by, the stamps aren't always reliable. You should weigh your window sash and compare to the chart in the product description to be sure which option you need.
Thanks.
I could not find 2830 or 1620 on web page.

So I just ordered 48 total - S385-28 and 6 total - S385-16;

Would that be right or do I need to change.
Gary
Profile picture of Tom
That wouldn't be right. You'd want S385-29 and S385-17, if you need a Series 385 balance. I have cancelled your order, since it will not work. Make sure you need a Series 385 with the 19-005 and 15-004 attachments before you order again. You couldn't find the correct options, I think, because the first two digits of the option are usually 1 less than the length of the balance. So 1620 is a 17" balance, and so on.
Gosh, not for sure how to tell if I need the Series 385 or not.

All I have are the numbers stamped on outside of balance.

Would you be able to tell me how to proceed?

Thanks,
Gary
Profile picture of Tom
Measure your plastic attachments. If you have the 19-005 on one end and the 15-004 on the other, then you have a Series 385 balance.
my shoe and top
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for getting back to us. Based on these pictures, I recommend our Series 390 channel balance. It comes with a 19-002 top and 15-001 bottom.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.