Replacement parts

A home owner from Merritt island, Florida says:
Hello

I'm hoping I can get replacement parts for my windows. They are all constantly sticking and hard to open and close. I dont know how to to take off the window to get part numbers. Hopefully you can tell by looking at the pictures. If not, I can take one out to give you a specific #. These windows are probably the original ones that came with the house, which was built in 1988.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Lisa

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Lisa. Numbers on different parts actually aren't as useful as seeing the different components removed from the window. If your having trouble opening and closing your window, you may need to replace your window balances. The balances are spring-loaded mechanisms on either side of the window sash; they are what allow you to open and close the window at will. We will need to see them removed from the window to help you identify what you need. However, if your window is 'sticking' also, you may wish to try spraying your window jamb with a silicone spray. This can sometimes smooth out the window operation.

Hi Bob

Thank you for your quick reply.

I was able to take out a window and check the # on channel balance while I waited for your response. It's part # 2320. I hope this helps. I did try wd40 on a window yesterday and it didn't help. All the windows are doing the same thing. Some worse than others.

Lisa
Profile picture of Bob

Hi LIsa, OK, we're getting there. The stamp number you cite actually won't help us just yet--the stamp options indicate the amount of weight the balance is meant to support. But first, we must identify the kind of channel balances you have. The best way to do this is to remove them from the window and provide us pictures of the nylon attachments at both ends of metal channel. In addition, if you could measure the length of the metal channel, not including the end attachments, that would be very helpful as well. Keep in mind these balances might be different kinds and lengths for different sized windows. 

If you need help fully removing the balances from the window, see the video below. See the second video for more details on how to identify your channel balances. 

Hello
I hope this helps in finding the right replacement parts needed for my alcan windows

Thank you
Profile picture of Bob

It does, yes! I've narrowed down the list of replacements to a mere two balances: the S380-24 or the S385-24. The only difference between these two parts is the size of the bottom nylon shoe; the S380-24 uses the 15-005 shoe, which is 1" deep, while the S385-24 uses the 15-004 shoe, which is 1-3/32" deep.

All you need to do is measure your old shoe to confirm the better match. That's not something we can eyeball from a photo, since the difference is so slight, but it is an important difference so measure your shoe as carefully as you can. Make sure to account for wear when you measure; that is to say, the depth of your shoe may be less than what it once was. Use your best judgement.

Regardless of which balance you go with, you'd also want to select the 2320 option when prompted.

A quick learner from fl says:
I need new take out clips for non-tilt aluminum frame windows. Channel balance is a 3020. The exact match is part# 16-023 off white plastic Pan Am. Question: will part# 16-002 grey metal work as an equivalent substitute part?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

No, the 16-002 will not replace the 16-023. These are two very different take out clips used in different applications. If you have the 16-023, then you want to stick with that.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.