Replacement pivot shoe

A handy person from Georgia says:
The windows are (I believe) window world 4000 series. See attached picture showing window tag.

I tried to raise the window and the right side didn't slide well. when I tried to pivot window in the right side was loose and I noticed broken parts on the sill.

Is this enough information to recommend a part for replacement? If not, what is the best way to get the replacement parts I need.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named GoodPivotShoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BadPivotShoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WindowTag.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

Could you remove your pivot shoe from the window and show us? We would like to know the thickness and width as well.

Thank you! 

Emily, Photos attached. the height photo shows what is left of the shoe. Do I need to measure another shoe for this value.

While removing the shoe I found a couple more issues. Would the forum prefer these added to this discussion or start new discussions for each?
I'm new to this forum, other forums have various rules/preferences when it comes to unrelated issues on the same physical "device".

Thank You

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named height.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thickness.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named width.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Take a look at our 15-046 pivot shoe. Carefully review our dimensions and compare them to yours to see how they match up. 

You can use this thread to reply to us. What are the issues you found? 

To continue the thread
1. I tried to lower the upper sash but was unable to. I found the previous owner had screwed 5 screws from the head jamb into the sash. I'm assuming this is not normal. Why would they have done this? (keep the upper sash up?)

2. The window is 41 inches across, the vinyl surround on the bottom rail of the upper sash bows downward in the center. Enough that the keeper and sash locks do not engage without pushing upwards from the outside. Can this bottom sash surround be carefully drilled and glue squirted in the space between the window and vinyl surround. Or is there another method to return the bottom surround to fit tighter to the window pane?

Thank You
Profile picture of Emily

To answer your first question: Not all top sashes are made to move, but it's possible that this is one of those situations. Some top sashes are fixed in place and that's that. 

As for your second question, I'm going to have our senior experts take a look and see if they have any tips. We'll reach out as soon as more information is available.

Thank you for your patience! 

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure if your window sash is a mechanical type sash that has screws at the corners that hold it together or a welded type sash. If it's a mechanical type sash, you can take the bottom rail off of the top sash and see if there is a type of "stiffener" bar inside. If there is, you can try bending the metal bar in the other direction to keep it from sagging. If there is no stiffener bar in the bottom rail, you'll need to purchase some type of metal length that will fit inside and you can use that as your stiffener bar.

If it's a welded type sash, there's really not too much you can do. Take a look at the 90-058 keeper shims, these might help with locking the window and would go under the keeper. Take note, the hole centers might not match up to yours and you will need to use a drill to drill new holes in the shim. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.