Replacement sash Pivot Bar

A handy person from Ottawa ON says:

Pivot bar cross section: 5/16" x 3/16"
Length: 3" to 3 3/16"
Required holes, measured from square end of bar: 1 13/32", 1 7/8" and 2 5/8"

These are the 1st, 2nd and 5th holes from left to right in the attached photo. The 3rd and 4th holes are NOT used.

No names, numbers or markings on existing pin.

Thanks.

tilt bar

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We don't have an exact match for this pivot bar, but I'd be happy to find a possible replacement option. The problem is the tip that goes into the pivot shoe; we don't have any pivot bar that matches that style. We may be able to find a pivot bar that matches your hole spacing, but not one that can fit in the pivot shoe.

That's why I'd like you to show me a picture of the pivot shoe itself. I'd also like to know its width and thickness. My thinking is, if we can find a pivot shoe that matches your size, we can recommend a pivot bar that will work with it.

A handy person from Ottawa ON says:

Thanks, Paul. Attached is the photo you requested. The cross section of the pivot bar is 5/16" x 3/16" and it fits into the hole in the pivot shoe of the same size and into a 5/16" wide and 3/16" deep slot in the vinyl sash. You can ignore the guide ridge at the tip of the bar that goes into the shoe as it is not necessary or even useful. The shoe slides in a channel and it does not just lift out - I would have to take the window apart and slide it out at the end of the channel. The length of the bar does not really matter, so any pivot bar 5/16" x 3/16" should work as long as the hole spacing is right or new holes can be drilled into it at the right spacing but I am not able to drill holes into steel.

Thanks.

Andrew

pivot shoe

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the photo, Andrew. I am unable to locate your pivot bar and I am unfamiliar with this pivot shoe. May I suggest trying our 26-089 pivot bar as a substitute? In order to make this pivot bar work, you will need to drill new holes at the bottom of the sash. Take a close look and let us know how you made out.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.