Replacement surface mount handle set

A friend from ROSEBURG, OR says:

THESE ARE PHOTOS SENT TO ME FROM LONITA IN GRANTS PASS. SHE IS 75 YEARS OLD AND LIVES 70 MILES FROM ME. HER KEY LOCK IS WORN OUT AND I AM TRYING TO ID HER LATCH. CAN YOU HELP ME OR TELL ME WHAT TO ASK FOR? THE DOOR IS MAYBE 35 YEARS OLD AND WAS PUT IN BACKWARDS.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190828DOOR LATCH LOCK.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190828DOOR LATCH LOCK2.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Your surface mount handle set looks close to our 82-005 with a 82-306 keyed exterior pull. Take a look and go over our measurements. Confirm these two parts are what you have been looking for. 

Is this all she needs to replace the latch? 82-005 and 82-306? I see some keepers that may go inside the door as well. And what about screws?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The 82-005 handle set comes with screws. As for the keeper, I can't say what you need. The 82-005 is compatible with a couple different kinds, like the 89-012. If the old keepers are in good condition you can just reuse them, but if they aren't then we won't be able to offer a suggestion without seeing a photo of one.

Lonita has a surface-mount handle set on her door; these are very versatile hardware sets since they use their own internal locking mechanism. They don't rely on anything in the original door whatsoever, allowing them to install on just about anything.

The downside to this is since they mount on just about any kind of door, it's not really possible to predict everything you might run into when installing it. I am confident that the  82-005 will replace the handle set I see in your photos, but aside from that we can't really go into more detail. If there are any tertiary parts that you may need, or that may cause a problem, then we'd have to see photos of them all one-by-one.

I ordered the recommended parts.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.