Replacing springs with Channel Balance

A home owner from MD says:
I have double hung wooden windows (Mfr: Windsor Windows; circa 1995)that have balance springs in the jambliner connected to friction shoes (#15-104).

I would like to replace these springs with channel Balance (similar to series 751) with equivalent friction shoes for this adaptation.

The jambliners with the friction shoes and spring is exactly like the one submitted by another customer in 2012. (From a contractor in Dundee, IL under the subject Hurd Compression Balance Spring.

Thanks,
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid the Series 751 can't install in the kind of jamb liner you've described. If you have a 15-104 friction shoe, then that means your spring is built into the jamb liner; in other words, the jamb liner is functionally the balance itself. You won't be able to install a different type of balance inside of it.

Since these are wood windows, I recommend contacting a local mill work. They should be able to set you up with new jamb liners entirely.

A home owner from Lansing, NY says:
Hello. I just ordered new friction shoes like this for a wood double hung tilt window compression jamb liner. Can I buy new springs for this? I tightened the friction shoe screw and now the upper sash stays up (for now- hallelujah!!). Maybe that fixed it and I don't need new springs?? Photos attached. Norandex was window manufacturer although I think they subbed out to someone else?

Thanks,

Drew
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Jamb hardware1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Jamb hardware2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, we're not able to supply the springs that go in this kind of window. The issue is that the springs are made built into the jamb liner; in effect, the jamb liner is the balance itself. Therefore that is what you will need to replace.

My suggestion is to contact a local mill work that still makes wood windows. If you bring them your sash and one of the old jamb liners, they should be able to make you new ones, spring and all.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.