Replacing window balance

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Arlene. This looks like either a Series 351 or Series 390 Non-Tilt Channel Balance. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe. The Series 351 bottom nylon shoe has a depth of 1", whereas the Series 390 bottom nylon shoe has a depth of 1-1/8". Compare with your old balances and see what you think matches best.

Could you double-check the length of the metal channel? Be sure not to include the nylon attachments at either end in this measurement. I only ask because 25" would be a weird length for a balance stamped 2330 (normally the length would be 24"). Let me know what you find. 

A home owner from Summerfield, FL says:
I see you have a selection of channel window balances and trying to figure out if one of yours will match this. The house was built in 1978 and its single glass on single hang non tilt windows. The # on this balance is 2330. The metal is 25". I'm am going to have to fix all the windows of the house that are different sizes but the main thing is to find out which channel balance will work? thank you, Arlene
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3588.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3589.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3590.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3591.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3592.JPG
Looks like it is the series 351 since the shoe depth is 1". You are right the metal is 24" thank you! We also need this plastic piece that is on the top of window that opens and closes. I'm sending pictures showing it open and close. Thank you, Arlene
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3597.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Awesome! We can help with your tilt latch, too but may we see it removed from your window?

The windows do not tilt so I went ahead and order 2 balances to try which fit but it look like the plastic pieces on the top window sash hold the balance in the sash during operations. All of them are broken accept for 1 window so will be needed a bunch of them. I'm sending pictures of them on, a window without it, and a broken one off. Thank you for all your help, Arlene
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3659.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3660.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3661.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3662.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3663.PNG
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for the photos. It looks like you have a Pan Am window that uses Series our S351-24 with a 2330 spring weight. The top sash guides would be our 18-187. Give it a look to be sure you agree.

Looks like that is it so I ordered all the parts this morning and should receive by the end of next week. Thank you so much!
Profile picture of Bob

Great! Let us know if you need anything else. Thank you for considering our business, we appreciate it.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.