Roller Replacement

A quick learner says:
Looking for replacement rollers for this 1950's era roller. Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0601.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0602.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0600.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0597.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, I've never come across a tandem roller like what you show here. Its design is very unique. Based on the age, I think it's safe to say that this probably doesn't exist anymore.

One idea is to maybe use something like our 81-023, 81-279, or 81-004. These are educated guesses, though. I've never worked with your old roller before and cannot give you a good judgment as to what would work as a substitute. For now, review the dimensions for these three products to see if they would fit in your door. 

You could also consider replacing the wheel by itself and just reusing the old housing, assuming it's in working condition. See our 81-266 and 81-272 wheel and axle kit.

A quick learner says:
I tried the 81-051, it is too wide to fit in the frame. The 81-279 says it is 3/4 wide which means it also won't fit, I need something slightly narrower (probably 5/8") but the 81-023 and 81-004 don't say the width of their frames?

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

We have dimensions for both the 81-023 and 81-004 on their store pages. I will share them below for your convenience; the 81-023 is 11/16" wide and the 81-004 is 3/4".

To be honest, I only recommended these because I saw the similar design in your photos and thought it was in some way related to the original door setup. If this was a newer part that you already purchased and didn't work, then I am far less optimistic that any of these will work.

Your best bet at this stage is probably to just try replacing the wheels. I honestly don't think you're going to find anything on the market today that can replace this. It's just too old.

Alternate image for 81-023
Alternate image for 81-023

Dimensions for 81-004
Dimensions for 81-004

A quick learner says:
thanks, I'll try the 81-023
How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.