S795 balance pivot bar and shoe problem

A quick learner from United States says:

Hello,

I successfully installed the new channel balance, but I?m having trouble with the pivot bar.

First of all, I can't get the cam lock in the channel balance to turn upright to where the pivot bar would be able to fit into it. I can rotate the center of the cam lock when I have a channel balance outside the window, but once I install the balance it won?t rotate upright. Does this mean the t-lock is too large?

Secondly, I am unsure how to install these pivot bars in my sash. The old pivot bars have threaded holes so the screws fit right in. These new pivot bars have no threads and the screws seem too wide. I?m also not positive which direction the bar needs to be when I install it and I can?t find a video with this style pivot bar.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cn_0mnzGp10XK3M3WPWl2xZbNuQTtm5O7A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named d4rsYbMz6YpcIUPvPK_PXyrw2Zx1A6kO_g.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named attachment.jpg
A quick learner from United States says:

To clarify, I am replacing several discontinued S850 balances with S795 balances.

I'm also installing 26-021 2.5"Pivot Bars (pictured above) to work with the new balances.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We appreciate your patience. With your current pivot bar, our 26-366 would make the better replacement for you. Look it over and let us know if you agree. 

A quick learner from Bluffton, SC says:
Okay, I'll try those. Do you have an insight on my t-locks? Should the center metal cam piece be able to rotate while the channel balance is installed in the window frame? Mine cannot - there is not enough space for the white sides (puck?) to extend. Does this mean I need the 15-194 1" T-LOCK BALANCE SHOE, CLOSED CAM?
Profile picture of Paul

Oh, I'm sorry I missed that. I'm honestly not sure, that sounds a little peculiar. It's possible you need the 1" wide shoe, but it would depend on the width of the shoe from your old Series 850.

Basically, if the old Series 850 shoe was 1-1/4", we typically recommend sticking with that width. The 1" shoe would be too small. That doesn't solve your problem, though. I guess the first step would be to check to confirm what the width of the old Series 850 was. If it's 1", then the solution is easy: our 15-194 will work perfectly. 

If it's 1-1/4", then I'm not sure what the problem might be. I've never run across this before. I'd like you to go into more detail; specifically, at what step in the installation process are you running into problems? Is this when you're trying to put the sash back into the window after installing the new balances, or have you not tried that yet? Do the new balances not even fit into the track?

A quick learner from Bluffton, SC says:

Thanks Paul.

I did install the channel in the track. That seems fine.

My problem is with the metal cam of the t-lock. When it is roatated sideways, the piece is 1 1/4". If you rotate the center to an "open" position where you could install the pivot bar, the white plastic extends just a tiny bit making it wider than 1 1/4". I can do this with a balance when it's not installed, but when I have the balance in the window track, there is no wiggle room whatsoever to rotate the cam. I can't turn it.

I need to order the 26-366 pivot bars you suggested and I?m hopeful the shape of the tips of those bars means this won't be an issue?

I've included a few photos and I hope that helps - two showing the balance in the window and why the pivot bar cannot be inserted, and two showing a balance on the floor and how it rotates. Like I said, I am hopeful that if I order the pivot bars you suggested that will better fit my sash, this will also negate this issue?

Profile picture of Paul

Thank you for clarifying. Before you install these balances, make sure the metal center cam "U" shaped opening is in the horizontal position. That way it will slide in the track. Then, bring the balance up and screw the top clip into the window track. Now place a flat head screwdriver it in the cam and bring the balance down about 6" to 12" and turn the cam so that the "U" shape is facing up. That will lock the balance in place so you can install the sash. When you install the sash and bring the sash up to snap it in the track, the cam turns to release the brake so the sash and balance can move. I hope that makes sense.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.