SEMCO balances

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Hi. I have 12 SEMCO double hung windows bought in 1998 that are in excellent condition with the exception that 3 upper sash balances need work. 3 of my windows are 16's with no problems. Of the other 9 windows, 9 are marked s 24TG and 3 are marked s 24HD even though they are all about the same size and weigh around 18 pounds. I am not sure why SEMCO would use different size balances for the same windows except maybe they had an abundance of the 24TG's. I have not removed all the balances to compare spring sizes. I also have observed that the pivot shoes look identical to your shoes listed under pn 15-233 and are 3 different colors, white for the 16's, blue for the 24TG's, and black for the 24HD's.

So, my questions...is there any difference in the pivot shoes other than their colors? The main problem I see with these balances is that the plastic shoes break. Is it possible to replace only the pivot shoes or is there a problem with the interior of the track? Since I mostly have the heavier duty 24TG's, should I stick with these same replacement balances? And finally, I am confident that the balances are the S751-25 but you state that they are shipped with the 15-014 shoes. Can I have them shipped with the 15-233 shoes? Before I start pulling apart the windows I would like to have replacement parts on hand. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy spring. We can supply these balances, but they have to be custom made since the shoe style you mentioned isn't a standard option. These will otherwise have the same construction as the Series 751.

Before we go any further, though, I just wanted to clarify what colors we'll be using in each case. The white color version of the 15-233 isn't technically made anymore, so we have to use the two colors we still have: the blue 15-233 and the black 15-197.

Based on the information given, I think the best configuration in each case would be to use the black 15-197 for the 16" long balance and the 25" 24HD, and the blue 15-233 for the 25" 24TG.

With that in mind, I can email you three purchase links and price quotes ASAP; one for each balance. You can use those to add them to your cart, allowing you to checkout as normal. The only thing I need to know at this stage is what the stamp reads on the 16" balance. Once I know that I can pull the trigger.

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. This is what I have. On the three 16 inch windows, of which one is a single and one is paired, the single window is marked s 16HD and the double is marked only as s 16 on all balance housings. They have the white shoes but there is no problem with any of them. So of the three 24 inch problem windows there is only an issue with the top sashes. As I stated in my previous text, two of them are stamped 24TG and one is stamped 24HD. I know that the problem with the 24HD is on one side only and appears to be a broken plastic shoe as I have found pieces. With help I was able to get the window back in place and it functions fine but with the window sash out the left shoe will not stay in place when I pull it down with a screwdriver.

On one of the 24TG sashes the sash is not in the pivot shoe on the top left side. Therefore I assume that it has a broken plastic shoe.

On the other 24TG, the top sash is bound up and very hard to move so it appears that it may not be seated properly. I have also found broken pieces of the shoe in it so both sides need redone. It also has a bent s-clip so for some reason there has been a lot of tension on it.

Since I haven't removed the balances to compare, can you tell me if the differences between the TG's and HD's are the size of the springs? And since my sashes weigh about 18 pounds, can I replace the TG's with HD's since the TG's seem like overkill? Is there any reason to not just replace the plastic pivot shoes since the springs and pulley's look fine?

I would like to get an order together that includes spare spare plastic shoes, s-clips, and the pivot parts that attach to the sashes. Is there any difference at all between the black 15-197 and blue 15-233 other than color? I would like to have repair parts on hand before I start taking anything apart.

Thanks again for the help!

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, so the HD's and TG's you see aren't necessarily representative of the size of the spring but rather its calibration, or how much weight it can support. The physical size of the spring actually doesn't matter all that much. I've seen long springs with weaker calibrations than short springs and vice versa. That really just depends more on who made it than anything else.

If your sashes are all 18 pounds then I agree that the TG would be overkill. The 24HD is the exact stamp you want for that weight; anything heavier and the window will be too difficult to close. I also note that you said your sashes were all 18 pounds in your first post; I'm very sorry for overlooking that to begin with. I think I was just too focused on the stamps.

The color for the shoes is important. It's basically a mark of durability; you use different shoes for different weights and lengths. If you're going with all 24HD balances, though, then the black 15-197 should be fine for all of them

So, reading your original post and doing the math, that would mean you need 24 total balances marked 24HD and with a 15-197 stamp. Is that correct? Assuming that it is, I will email you a purchase link and price quote right now that will allow you to add that quantity to your cart.

As for the spare shoes and the S-clips, these will not be included with the custom link since they're just regular stock parts. You can add them to your cart directly from our catalog, which will allow you to checkout with everything altogether.

If you want me to make any changes to that purchase link for 24 balances, just let me know and I'd be happy to do so!

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.