Sash balance broken

A quick learner from Lansing, Iowa says:
Hi,
The window is roughly 4 feet wide by 6 high. From the ID etched into the lower part of the window it looks to be made by Weather Shield but that's your call on make an model. Will it need two balances? Whichever, one or two, please send price. --bob
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1342.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1341.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1339 2.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This appears to be a channel balance for a tilt window. We can help, but we need more information to narrow this down. I need you to raise and tilt the sash inward, then show us a picture of whatever clip is at the end of that cord that fits into the pivot shoe. We also need the length of the metal channel, as well as any stamp on the channel. We'll do our best to narrow this down from there.

Yes, it does appear to be a channel balance in a tilt window. The channel is 34 inches long. ATTACHED are photos showing the stamp on the channel and the clip at the end of the cord. I see that the spring at the bottom of the channel looks disconnected. ?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1460.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1465.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1468.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1470.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 4.26.13 PM.png
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience as we looked into this for you. We are getting closer. You have a 34" channel balance with a 15-014 knife shoe and stamp option of 33TG. Now how does the balance attached at the top of the window track? Please show us a photo. From there we should be able to narrow this down. 

Okay, Paul--
It appears that a screw held the balance at the top. When I reached up and pinched the screw head, it fell out of the track (see open hole) to the floor. As you can see in the photo, the screw appears broken. --bob
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1490.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1483.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for getting back to us. You need a 34" Series 770 balance with a 15-014 Knife Shoe attached. We can provide this for you via custom order. I believe you will need these balances stamped 34E, which simply means they can support a window sash in the weight range of 32 through 34 pounds. I advise weighing your window sash just to make sure this range is correct; let us know if your window falls outside that range. If the stamp is correct, see the email Bob has just sent you to order a pair of these balances to those exact specifications. 

As far as the broken screw, if you can remove the threaded sash, good. If not, you will need to drill a new hole, either just above or below the old hole. 

Hi again, Paul--
I weighed the tilt window and it's 29 pounds. Should I order like you suggested or do you change the sash balance? --bob
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the response. I'm glad you checked the exact sash weight, as 34E would definitely be too strong--you'd have trouble closing the window and keeping it closed! Instead you'll need balances stamped 34D, which reflect a calibration for 27 through 32 pounds. I just sent you an updated purchase link for two of these balances. Let me know if you have further questions. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.