Searching for Does 26-422 pivot bar fit into 15-187 coil housing pivot

A quick learner says:
I need a pic or video of how to assemble the s180 coil into the 15-187 coil housing pivot. Please tell me the 26-422 pivot bar fits into this new housing. Need a pic or video of how the this works
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Series 180 coil spring and 15-187 pivot shoe are not compatible. Are you perhaps referring to our 15-087, instead?

If so, we don't have a video on how these parts work together, but you may find the diagram below to be helpful. This shows how the parts fit together in the window. It may seem complex at first but it's very simple: the spring is held by the shoe and extends out and up, like scotch tape, to the bracket installed at the top of the track. 

Lastly, the 26-422 pivot bar and 15-087 shoe are compatible, yes.

If this diagram still does not clear things up, or if you're having trouble with installation in general, then I would highly recommend contacting a local professional to do the installation for you. Coil balances can be annoying to deal with and are not what I would consider to be an easy project.

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

A quick learner says:
Where does the white round piece go? Do you use this with the black round brake of the pivot shoe? You need better diagrams. This is for the tandem housing, not the 15-087 by itself. Is there a screw hole for the housing into the window track. I can see where the coil hooks up.
Profile picture of Tom

The white round piece is an interior case support. It goes in the middle of the spring and is fairly loose when its in there; its only function is to add a bit of a brace for the casing and is not entirely necessary. I've used many of these that didn't have it.

Neither the primary housing nor secondary housing screw to the track. They wouldn't function otherwise; they have to be able to slide freely. Instead, the coil extends out of the housings and hook onto the bracket at the top of the track. This is what screws in and acts as the anchor for the whole assembly. That's the only thing that screws in.

So, to reiterate from the top: 

1. Put the spring in the hosing carriers. Think of the housing like the bread and the spring as the cheese. They just sandwich together. 
  2. The black cam goes in the bottom hole and the white support piece, if you choose to use it, goes in the middle of the spring. 
  3. Snap the two halves of the housing together. Make sure that the springs are both facing the same direction and pointing up before you do this. 
  4. Connect the top housing onto the bottom housing. The 15-087 has two "T" shaped ears that slide into matching holes on the bottom of the 15-086.
  5. Feed the entire assembly into the cutout in your track.
  6. Connect the two coil springs to the 16-024 bracket. You can use needle nose pliers for this. This bracket has two hooks, a top and a bottom, one for each hole at the end of each spring. Both springs connect to the same holes.

That's all there is to it. I have to stress, again, that it can be frustrating to feed the assembly into the track and connect the springs to the bracket. That's probably going to be the hardest part. I know some people who hook the springs to the bracket first then screw it in after the whole assembly is in the track, but that really comes down to personal preference. 

If you are still unable to get this assembly in the window, then you should strongly consider having a professional do this project for you.

A quick learner from Buffalo says:
Hey thanks for the detailed explanation, I have this exact problem with my bathroom window. I have a follow up question.

I'm having problems getting the window back in to the Sash.

Once I "click" in to place one pivot bar (in to the coil housing pivot), there isn't enough room for the other pivot to click in to place. Do you know if this style of windows uses some other method of getting the window pivot bars in to the housing pivots?
Profile picture of Tom

This is a common occurrence with this kind of pivot shoe. What you need to do is make sure that one of the shoes is seated higher in the track than its opposite-side partner. We'll call the high one Shoe A and the low one Shoe B. You don't want Shoe A to be too high, but only just high enough so that when you fit the pivot bar in the Shoe B, you can start easing the opposite pivot bar into its partner.

Once you start easing the pivot bar in, you have to kind of twist the sash in so that it pushes Shoe A down until its even with Shoe B. The goal is to do it in one fluid twisting motion, so that the shoe is pushed down while you simultaneously push that end down, though in my experience it's usually never that elegant. Depending on the weight of your sash it will probably look more like you're wrestling with the glass panel.

It's not the easiest thing in the world but hopefully that explanation makes sense. It can be frustrating, but it just takes a little patience.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.