Searching for Pivot Shoe & Coil Balances

A home owner from Martinsburg, WV says:
This was in the left side of my window which helped the window go up and down. It doesn't stay up anymore. Right side is missing. Handyman company couldn't find a replacement.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A23DCC4E-ADD2-4897-8318-805E0EDC1727.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 04F74517-621D-4DC3-AF43-6CCB9E776814.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like the housing for a Coil Balance assembly. I am quite confident that we can replace this assembly for you, but we need more information to be able to help. At the bottom of this coil balance assembly, there should be what is called a pivot shoe; a plastic piece with a metal cam from which the window sash can pivot inward for cleaning. Can you remove this pivot shoe from the window and show it to us? The identity of the pivot shoe determines the identity of the coil balances needed. From there, we'll do our best to find what you need. Many thanks.

Is this photo ok
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 931D8F02-A3D5-45DD-B576-CF00CE3BE3F4.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

I am afraid not. We can't see neither the coil spring or the pivot shoe at all. We will need for you to remove it out of the window and forward us over a couple of photos for us to review. If there happens to be a stamping or marking on the coil spring itself once it's removed, please get back to us with that information as well. 

Additional photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 417B5909-E469-478E-BF6E-3D0F5E451C62.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6EA637D9-6CD5-46FF-99E2-763D28C4F18B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5E42B4B6-E90A-47D4-81D2-47AC233E58FF.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

OK perfect. This looks like our 15-111 Pivot Shoe. This shoe uses either our Series 160 1/2" Thick Coil Springs or our Series 165 3/8" Thick Coil Springs. Compare both with your old springs to see what you need. If you're uncertain what spring weights you need, give us the exact weight of your window sash, and we'll work out what you need.

I actually need the first photo I sent. The white plastic piece. The photo I sent yesterday-both of those pieces seem to be functioning ok!
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, my apologies. In that case, see our 15-150S or 15-150D Double Coil Supports. This looks similar to your old coil housing. Let me know what you think. 

Thanks for your time. It doesn't look like that piece. A handyman service couldn't find the part either. I know 0 about windows- I just know mine won't stay up!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of assistance. The white nylon piece you show in the first photo was an older version of this coil spring's cover that the manufacturer discontinued. It was replaced with the 15-150S. The function for this nylon piece is to cover the coil spring. It doesn't have any function in the operation of the sash. The coil spring Series 160 and the pivot shoe 15-111 does the operation of the window sash. Let me know if you have any further inquiries. 

Should I order another stainless steel coil? I am unsure of the weight
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Without knowing the exact weight of the window sash, or the stamp codes on the springs, I unfortunately can't say what spring weights you need. They need to be equal on both sides of the sash and equal to the overall sash weight. 

I understand. I haven't been able to get the window back out. It's in such a awkward spot. Does it matter if you buy the highest weight? Would it work? Feels like a pretty heavy window. All the parts are moving when I move the window up and down.. it just doesn't stay up.
Profile picture of Bob

You always want the balances you use for your window to be calibrated to support an overall weight as close as possible to the window sash's exact weight. Too low a weight will cause the window to have trouble staying open; but also, too strong a weight will cause the sash to drift open and be difficult to close. In either case, the balances are sure to break down much more quickly than they would otherwise. This is why obtaining that exact weight is important if the coil springs have no stamps. 

If you're having a lot of trouble getting the sash out again to weigh it, you can place your scale on the windowsill and gently lower the sash onto the scale. This isn't as ideal, but if you're careful you still should be able to get a good measurement. For clarity on removing and replacing these coil balances, see the video below. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.