Selecting the Right Balancer

A home owner from Cambridge, Ontario says:
I have a 60s bungalow with wooden sash windows. The sashes are grooved for a spriral balance but none were ever installed. How do I know what length to order?
Also, how do I know what mounting bracket to order?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Without the old balances to use as a reference, it will be difficult to be sure what you need. I have a couple ideas, though. Before I recommend anything, can you tell me if this is the bottom of top sash? Can you also tell me the height of the visible glass? Finally, how much does the sash weigh?

We are talking the bottom sash here. The dimensions of the sash are 39-1/2"W and 29-1/4"H. Wt is 16 lb. The upward travel of the sash is 24-1/2" Not sure what you mean by visible glass.

The bathroom has a smaller sash 33-1/2"W 29-1/4"H. Wt is 12 lb. Upward travel is 14-1/2".

Both sashes are grooved for 5/8" balancer.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I still need to know the height of the visible glass. That's literally just measuring the height of the glass, as you see it. The length of these balances is determined by that detail, not the overall size of the sash. Please let me know if you can get that measurement to me.

Getting back to you. The height of the visible glass in both sizes of lower sash is 24 inches.
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you so much! So, for old sashes we usually recommend using the Series 500 spiral balance along with a bracket like our 17-012. As for length, the rule of thumb for the bottom sash is to add 3" to the height of the visible glass. That means I recommend an S500-27 in both cases. A Red Tip color option indicates a spring that carries 7 through 29 lbs for this size, so you want a Red Tip for both sashes.

Let me know if you had any questions.

Got my new balancers installed and working nice. Now thinking about doing my basement rec room windows.
Those have a weight of only 6 lbs, with a visible glass of only 9-1/2 inches. Sashes are grooved for a 5/8 trade size balancer. What model/length do you recommend?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rec room window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Assuming that this is the same type of window, then you'd follow the same steps we did before. You'd use a Series 500 and add 3" to the visible glass for the bottom sash, or only 1" for the visible glass for the top sash. If your bottom sash glass is 9-1/2" then you could consider our S500-12. The Red Tip option for this carries 6 through 12 pounds.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.