Selecting the correct spiral balance, pivot shoe and stop block

A handy person from Milwaukee, WI says:
Hello, we live in a condo and our windows are very difficult to operate and many will no longer stay up. I would like to spend some time cleaning the tracks, replacing all the spiral balances, pivot shoes and possibly the stop blocks and getting them working the way they once did. It looks like they have been worked on in the past and there appears to be a mix of parts used.

SPIRAL BALANCES: Most have the thin 3/8" diameter spiral balances with what looks like an orange plastic tip at the end but it could be faded red. Other windows have the larger diameter 5/8" spiral balances. Both are 28" long.

PIVOT SHOE: despite the spiral balances being red or orange the pivot shoes have a blue insert.

STOP BLOCK: looks very much like your Acorn Window Stop Block And looks to accommodate the larger 5/8" spiral balances despite almost all being 3/8" diameter.

I really would like to get them back in good working condition and perhaps I should weigh the windows as you suggest on your website to get the correct spiral balance?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 62245F25-CFD4-4DED-88EC-133A78BFED26.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CEF57FD2-1093-4B98-BFCB-6C3724356876.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7B0BF9D3-C685-4EE0-83B9-F1C8D6BB3CCA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4B6B65FB-AC25-40F1-96FD-7FEFBD372346.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Michael. It looks like you have both a Series 900 and Series 600 spiral balance. The color tips you need in each case will probably be Red but it can't hurt to weigh your sash. I also agree that the stop matches our 55-063.

I'm not sure what the pivot shoe might be. I'd like to see a picture of it and I'd also like to know its width and thickness.

Tom,

The window weighs almost exactly 16 lbs.

Since the windows are difficult to lift should I go to the blue rather than red balancer?

Also, which diameter do you suggest since both the 600 and 900 series seem to fit? Is there an advantage to using the 5/8" vs the 3/8"( a more robust spring...)?

I have attached photos of the pivot shoe. It dimensions are: 534"((17/32), height 2.055"(2") x 1.262"(1.25"). Which I believe most closely matches your product no. 15-015

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 43A705CB-F4CD-4FA2-9B69-3C6788EE466F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 40DEC60D-57D8-432B-9F84-56C295A9DD75.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B59A6754-C6E4-45C1-B29A-FBB9672A3A98.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F248AE82-9A8F-4ABF-ABB2-30BB68637027.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C0A81343-846D-4A9B-BC59-9B8D0409F953.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Concerning whether to use the Series 900 or Series 600, it's not really a matter of advantage. They're both different balances and are not meant to be interchangeable. That they are interchangeable in your window is curious, but I guess not unheard of. It sounds like the original installers just kind of used whatever they had on hand.

That said, your shoe is over 1/2" thick and I do agree that our 15-015 is the best match. It looks like it'll fit perfectly. The 15-015 is also most commonly paired with the Series 600. The Series 900 is technically compatible, sure, but if I were the installer then I would never pair a balance that skinny with a shoe that thick. There's a good chance your windows were meant to have the Series 600 originally. 

Concerning sash weight, moving up to the Blue probably won't make the windows work better. There's a good chance your windows were hard to open not because of weak springs, but because the balances just lost tension from age and use. One nice thing about spiral balances is that this can sometimes be fixed by charging them with a tool like our 75-006. Giving them two to three turns usually gives them a little life back. Otherwise I think you'll see the same results with a Red tip as you would with Blue.

I just ordered a pair of red and blue Series 600 balancers, a pair of series 900 red and green blancers, pivot shoes and a charge tool. I will do some experimenting before I place the full order.

Thanks for your help,
Michael
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good to me! Let me know how it works out, or if you had any questions.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.