Simonton replacement casement window parts - circa 2000

A quick learner from Emerald Isle, NC says:
I need help finding the tie bar with 4 rollers. From the top of the bar, the rollers are located at 3 3/4", 20 3/8", 32 3/8", and 38 1/16". The total length of the tie bar is 39".

Please confirm these replacement parts on your website: tie bar guide=39-417, locking handle=38-092 RH and 38-091 LH.

I need help finding the 3 plastic lock latches that are located at the outer edge of the window. They're 1 3/4" long and 5/8" wide.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named locking handle.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named plastic lock latch.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tie bar (2).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tie bar guide.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I agree that as long as the dimensions shown on our product pages match up to yours, the 38-091 and 38-092 do look like promising replacements for your casement window lock. I also agree that either the 39-417 or 39-448 tie bar guide could work for your repair. The keepers shown in your photos resemble our 38-130 and 38-131

The only part in question would be the tie bar itself. Unfortunately, we only carry one 38.9" long tie bar, the 38-907, but it has cone-shaped rollers that differ from yours. Due to this difference, I am not confident that it would work for your application. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Thank you. On the tie rod, if the new rollers don't match in the exact points as the old ones, is there an opportunity to adjust them by attaching the tie rod up or down on the side of the window? Are all the rollers equally important for locking the window?

I've seen in some of the comments there are "cone" rollers and "interlocking" rollers. How can I tell which one I have and are they interchangeable?

On part number 38-919, can you please tell me the positions of the rollers as measured from the end of the tie rod without the insertion hole?

Thank you so much
Profile picture of Casey

It looks like the tie bar shown in your photos uses interlock rollers, while the 38-907 uses cone-shaped rollers. Unfortunately, they are not designed to be used interchangeably. As for the 38-919 that you mentioned, a 46.9 tie bar will not fit in your window if the original only measures 38.9" long. It also uses cone-shaped rollers, which you do not have. I'm sorry that we won't be able to supply a closer match. 

Sorry, my last post was a little confusing. Actually, I'm working on 2 different Simonton windows, and both need tie rods. One tie rod is just under 39" long and one is 47" long. Both have 4 rollers on them.

Do you have anything that's close in length that also has the same number and shape of rollers on it?
Profile picture of Casey

Thank you for confirming! We do offer the 38-968 tie bar guide with the roller shape and 46.9" length that you need. Review the specifications below and see what you think. Unfortunately, we do not carry a tie bar that will work as a replacement for your shorter assembly. 

Dimensions for 38-968
Dimensions for 38-968

Thank you. One last question (I hope). I still don't understand if each roller plays a part in locking the window because the tie bar I have has 4 rollers and you're suggesting one that has 2 rollers and 1 pivot point.

Does that matter?
Profile picture of Casey

The number of rollers is important but we do not currently carry a version of the tie bar that you need with four rollers. Please give me a bit more time and I will check with our inventory manager to confirm if any of our suppliers can provide a closer match. 

Profile picture of Casey

Thank you for your patience. If you have interlock rollers and the tie bar measures 38.9", we can supply replacements with either 2 rollers or 3 rollers. If you see 4 rollers, one of them is most likely the lock drive point. 

I would recommend sending us detailed photos of your entire 38.9" and 46.9" tie bars to confirm if the parts that we can supply would work for your application. Please note that it will take at least 5-6 weeks to have the 38.9" tie bars manufactured. If you would like to wait and purchase them, we would be happy to get the process started for you. 

SWISCO 39-417 Tie Bar Guide
SWISCO 39-417 Tie Bar Guide
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing tie bar guides
Replacing tie bar guides
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.