Single hung window won't stay open

A home owner from San Diego, California says:
Hello - We have TWO 1986 era single hung windows that are hard and heavy to lift up and will not stay open w/o a stick to prop them up.

I have measurements and pictures to help find the right replacement parts:

The bottom sash size is 2'6" height and 2'9.5" wide.
Window frame measures 4'11" height and 2'11" wide.
The number stamped on the metal channel is 2640.

Attached is a picture of top plastic guide (DSC06257).

Attached also are two pictures of the channel and rollers (DSC06256 & DSC06255.

The length of metal channel is 27 inches (not including plastic guides in the measurement).

Thank you for your help!
Lillian

A user submited photo of window channel balance
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Lillian! First thing's first: please look at our 18-008 top sash guide. This looks very similar to your own hardware. Make sure to compare the dimensions of the two and see if you think it'll work.

Now, for your channel balance. I can't quite recognize what you have based on the pictures provided. Can I see a clear picture of both ends of the balance? Also, were there plastic attachments at either end? If so, can I see pictures of them as well? If not, can I see whatever clips, shoes, or brackets may have been attached?
Hi again - Sorry it took so long to get the pictures of the window channel balance and ends.
The 5/8" Top Sash Guide is 18-008 is the same.
The windows are Millguard cerca 1986 if this helps.
I attached several pictures and thankyou for your help.
Lillian
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you, Lillian. That helps a lot! But before I can suggest an applicable replacement for your balance, I'll need your help in identifying the appropriate bottom shoe to use. Please look at our 15-001 and 15-002 and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-1/8" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which one more closely resembles your own shoe? This will help us determine your balance Series, and we can work from there!
The dimension matches 15-001 at 1-1/8" deep.
Please note: We have 2 identical windows in the same room and both have the same problem.

Thank you
Lillian
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! That is all the information that we need. Please take a look at our S390-27 channel balance with a 2640 stamp option. Do you think this would work for you? Let me know!
Its looks like what we have so I will order 4 S390-27 - is this all I need to order to replace the balances and get the windows opening easy again?

PS - Do you have any tips on how to do the replacement?

Thanks for all your help/advice .
Profile picture of Paul
Usually, the balance is all you need, however there may be other parts that aren't operating as well as they could. Take a quick look around your window sash and see if anything else may look worn or damaged.

As for tips, we actually have a tutorial video on how to install this very balance type. This should also give you a good idea of what other parts to look for that might need replacing.
A quick learner from Fallon, NV says:
this post just helped me fix a window that wouldn't stay open in my house, thank you very much for posting it
Profile picture of Paul

Glad it helped. Thanks for visiting SWISCO.com!

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.