Sliding glass exterior handle with lock

A home owner from Twentynine Palms, CA says:
Hello,

I am trying to replace a sliding glass door handle with a new one that can be locked from the exterior. I tried using items #82-063 with #82-306, which we were able to install on the door. But the locking mechanism doesn't work, primarily because with the new handle, we can't pull the door closed tightly enough for the little hook pins to engage.

Any other ideas on a handle with exterior keyed lock that might work? We can drill new holes into the door if needed.

Thank you,
Natalie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1227.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1226.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1232.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1230.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1229.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Natalie. Sorry to hear the 82-063 didn't quite work. Since it's tough to say what internal lock would work with this door without seeing the original hardware, I would consider the 82-005 as a last resort here. This is a 'surface mount' handle set, meaning the lock is build into the base of the inside pull itself. This allows it be adapted to a variety of different doors. You'd have to drill new holes to mount it, but I think it may be your best bet. One good thing is you could use the 82-306 outside pull with this setup, if you still wanted an outside key lock. Let me know what you think.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.