What Is My Spiral Balance

A home owner from Grove City says:
Looking for a replacement spiral balance. The existing spiral balance is inside a white plastic tube. The length of the tube is 28 inches and the diameter is 1/2 inch. The cap on the end of the balance is blue. The weight of the window is 20 pounds. The width of the opening in the window where the balance is located is 13/16 of an inch. There are no visual markings on the window or the part. It looks like the part I need is the S600-28 with the blue end. Please confirm. I had previously ordered two S900-27 with a red end. They were too short.
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. If the tube is 28", then that's definitely the route you want to take. I'm not so sure about the Series, though. The tube shouldn't be 1/2". I would double check to make sure it's not really 5/8" or 3/8".
A home owner says:
Tom, I double checked the diameter of the plastic tube, and it is at most 9/16", O.D., so it is closer to the 5/8". Initially, I went with the 900 series because the spiral spring inside the plastic tube is 7/16", which is closer to the 3/8", but neither dimension is 3/8" or 5/8". Please confirm the series, length and diameter I should use.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect! Many spiral balances are 9/16", but are considered 5/8" in the trade. If that's your outer tube diameter, then I would go with the Series 600 spiral balance.
A home owner says:
As a follow-up on our discussion, the Series 600 spiral balances seem to work well. The video for replacing the spiral balances was very helpful, but it would have been even better if you would have included a discussion on the operation of the pivot shoe. When the windows are tilted out the pivot shoe gets locked into place. I found it necessary to use a large flat head screwdriver to rotate the round center piece of the pivot shoe to change the location of the pivot shoe. When removing the window or the old spiral balances, the pivot shoe would sometimes slip and need to be adjusted before the window was re-installed. Thank you for the great support!
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome! Glad everything worked out. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to be of assistance.
A home owner says:
Tom, the replacement of the spiral balances was going well until I encountered a broken pivot shoe. The top is completely broken out of it. The existing pivot shoe measures 2-3/8" H x 1-1/4" W x 1/2" D. The pivot insert rectangle measures 3/16" X 5/16". It looks like the 15-046 will work as a replacement and is compatible with the Series 600 spiral balance. There is a number on the pivot shoe: 530C. Let me know if you think there is a better replacement. One other point I wanted to mention was the spring tension. Your video suggests about two to three turns on the spring. As I am removing the old springs, I am finding they have about eight turns on the them. I have been using three turns, and the windows seem to work well. Any thoughts? Thanks.
A customer submitted image of their pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Take a look at our 15-046. Do you think you could use this as a possible replacement?
A home owner says:
The 15-046 was a good replacement pivot shoe. I used a utility knife to create an opening to remove the old pivot shoe and install the new pivot shoe. The attached pictures show both the left and right sides with the new and old pivot shoes. The left side photo shows the location of the cutout. I also included a picture of the window installed. As you can see, the cutout is not visible. The replacement of all of the spiral balances is complete. All of the windows work well. Thank you for the great support.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That's great news! I'm glad everything worked out. Thank you so much for the detailed pictures of how you went about this project. I hope this helps other customers in the future.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.