Spiral Balances

A home owner from Norfolk VA says:
Hello I need to order some replacement spiral balances for my double hung, tilt, insulated windows. My individual sash weight is about 20 pounds. The problem is the size of my balances are 1/2 inch diameter and your product offers 3/8 or 5/8. I'm looking at either the 17" 600 series or the 900 series. Either one should fit the window clearance wise. My tip color is white (obviously a different manufacturer). The 900 series only comes with a red or blue tip. I'm assuming the tip color indicates the weight capcity or the balance. can you tell me what the different colors indicate Is it white 15# red 30# blue 40# ?

Thanks for your time
Bryan
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for contacting us, Bryan.

I believe you have the Series 600 spiral balance. I recommend going with the red tip, as white normally supports the lightest weight. Most manufacturers use the red tip bearing. Blue is used for heavier windows.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hi Bryan,
For the Series 600 balances, the metal tube has a diameter that will actually measure 9/16" but it is considered 5/8" in the trade.

17" Series 600 Balance
White Tip will carry a window sash weight range of 4 through 10 pounds.
Red Tip will carry 6 through 19 pounds
Blue Tip will carry 9 through 28 pounds

17" Series 900 Balance
Red Tip will carry a window sash weight range of 6 through 17 pounds
Blue Tip will carry 9 through 21 pounds

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.