4165 Spring Balance

A handy person from Marcellus, NY says:
The window is 38"W x 44-1/2"H. The spring balance on both sides needs to be replaced. The balance channel is 42" and the spring is 26". I'm looking to replace all parts on both sides
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4165
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191029_105615142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191029_105536245.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191029_105540739.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We may be able to help with this balance, but we need a bit more information before we can identify it. First, can you show me a picture of the hook, clip, or shoe at the end of the cord? That is a vital detail and will allow us to determine the Series. Can you also tell me how many you need?

The pivot shoe is 1/2" thick, 1-1/4" tall(top to bottom), looks like 1-1/4" wide. I couldnt get it out at this time.
The other pic is the pivot bar.

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191105_124823126.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20191105_124843628.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. Looks like you have a hook at the end of your balance cord, which in turn attaches to a pivot shoe. Assuming your shoe is in good condition, you can reuse it. The hook is what's important.

With that in mind, your balance will have to be a custom order. We would use a 42" Series 770 with a 62-105 hook attached to the end. Does that look good to you?

If so, please give us a little time to confirm the availability of this size. We hope to get back to you soon. 

Profile picture of Tom

Hello again! We ran into a minor issue while researching this balance. We will have to calculate the proper calibration for your springs since our balance has a different rating system compared to your original. Would it be possible for you to give me the exact weight of the sash? That way we can determine exactly how strong these springs need to be. Let me know!

I will put it on a scale today and get that info back to you. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! We'll be here whenever you need us.

Sorry for the delay, The window is 35-40 lbs. It was difficult to nail down the exact weight using a digital scale.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! So, we can provide a special order balance with a 42G stamp, which can work for sashes weighing between 37 and 40 pounds. I think that might be what you want. You should triple check that, though. If your sash is more like 43 pounds, the 42G won't work. Special order balances cannot be returned for a refund so it's important to confirm everything as accurately as you can.

In the meantime, I'll email you an order link for two S770-42 balances with a 62-105 hook swapped out on the end. The stamp will also be 42G, which can carry 37 through 40 pounds. Let me know if you have any questions!

The balance that broke has a stamp of 4165..does that number has any significance? Would it hurt to go with a balance for a 43lb sash?
Profile picture of Tom

Well, that's the reason I bring it up. According to our records, a stamp of 4165 usually is meant to carry 39 through 42 pounds, which is a little stronger than the sash weight you gave us. Going off of the weight range you supplied, it won't work. You may want to triple check the sash weight just to be 110% sure. 

As long as the weight you gave us is accurate then the 42G stamp will work well.

When you get to these kind of weights you definitely want to be precise. If the balance is too strong, your window will be hard to close. If it's too weak, it will be hard to open. Think of it like Goldilock's porridge: it has to be just right.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.