Balance Stamp Option 27 4

A quick learner from Irvine says:
current balance is marked 27 / 4. How does that relate to the stamp option?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey there - thanks for your question. That number could indicate a 28-inch balance with the 2740 stamp option. To be sure, please measure the metal channel from metal to metal, not including the plastic ends. To be certain of the stamp option, you can take the sash out of the window and weight it. With a 2740 stamp, the sash should weigh between 19 and 26 pounds. Have you determined which series you need? If not, please send us photos of both ends of your balance.
A quick learner from Irvine says:
window size is 37"W x 29 1/2"H. Double pane poly finish.

I have selected Product Code: S350-27. I currently have a marking of 27 - 4 on the balance. I have been told that the 4 indicates the spring strength, but I no way to apply that number to the "sash weight range". I have also been told that 4 is too strong and I should reduce it to a 3 (or 27 - 3) balance. What "sash weight range" should I use to equal a 27-3 balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Let's take a step back.

You need to select the correct option (2730 or 2740) to match the weight of your sash, not vice versa. There is a chart on the S350-27 webpage that lists the options and how much weight they hold. Remove your window sash, weigh it, and choose which option you need based on the weight. The weight of your sash needs to fall within the range listed in the chart. 2730 holds sashes between 13 to 19, and 2740 holds sashes between 19 to 26.

The relation between the marking on the balance and the option is hazy. Usually, you can add a 0 to the end of the marking to get the option, but it needs to be checked by weighing, as I mentioned above. Sometimes the wrong balance is installed to begin with, and sometimes the manufacturer uses a system of marking the balances that clashes with ours.

As a final note, it is greatly likely that your balance measures 28". Please measure the metal alone and compare.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.