Coil Balances Broken

A quick learner from Niceville, FL says:
Looks like an aluminum ribbon. Was expecting a channel balancer and instead got a ribbon just in the channel???? Examined another window and no ribbon? Outside my expertise at this point.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200312_090529.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like a Coil Balance system. Coil Balances are exactly what they sound like: coil tape units that work the same way other balances do, by maintaining tension that allows you to open and close the window at will. 

Clearly it looks like yours have worn down. I am confident we can help you replace these coil balances, but we need to see a picture of the pivot shoe that they attach to at the bottom of the window track. The pivot shoe is the plastic piece with the cam on either side of the window track from which the window pivots inward. The identity of the pivot shoe determines the identity of the coil balances you need. Many thanks.

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Sounds great. We will be here. 

Doing for a customer will need to disassemble and take pictures. Let me send back when I do.
Took pictures upon a second visit. Tilt window with a Coil Balance mechanism; measures 4" and the window weighs around 25 lbs. There is a stop screw and a stop latch. Based on my you tube education, there is no notch to remove from the window, looks like I need to make a cut-out. Should I replace both sides? I'm assuming I do not need to take apart the mechanism as it looks like it is one complete piece with no screws? HELP!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200317_101534 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200317_104022.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200312_090529.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to us. This Coil Balance Shoe looks like our 15-087, along with the 15-086 Tandem Housing and 16-024 Mounting Bracket. This Coil Balance System uses our Series 180 Coil Balances. 

First, these Coil Balance assemblies are not whole parts. They are modular, meaning that you actually do need to replace each component individually, if they have broken or worn down. It is worth replacing at least the coil springs on both sides if one side has springs that have worn down; with all window balances, if one side has worn down, it's likely the other isn't far behind. If the Coil Balance Shoe and Housing assemblies are undamaged, however, you should be able to re-use them.

To know what spring weights you need for your coil springs, I would try to get as an exact window sash weight as possible. If your precise weight is indeed 25 lbs, you'd be fine with (1) of the S180-6 6 lb spring and (1) of the S180-7 7 lb spring on each side of the sash. This equals 13 lbs of support on either side of the sash, and a total of 26 lbs of support overall. Being within 1 lb of the actual sash weight is fine; however, again, I stress you want to confirm what the precise window sash weight is before proceeding. 

Finally, there should be cutouts at the top of the window tracks to get these assemblies out, but if there are none you will indeed need to cut them yourself. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Love this service.... wonderful. Ordering parts today. You got yourself a new customer for life!
Profile picture of Bob

Honored to hear it! Thanks a lot for the kind words, it's a pleasure to help. Let us know if you have any other questions, and many thanks for considering our business.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.