Syron window parts

A contractor from Gowanda, NY says:
A customer of mine has a broken string on their window balance from a Syron window (out of business). Rather than trying to re-string it, as I'm not sure how long it should be, how much tension, etc, I'm looking for a replacement.

They are tilting sashes, with the "plain" style balance channel. Stamped on the metal balance is "PC BSI" and "24B". The dimensions of the balance are 24" long, 9/16" wide, and 1/2" deep. The balance attaches to the window via one screw at the top (photo Balance1). The spring inside is attached at the top to a pin/rivet in the 2nd hole down on the balance (photo Balance2). The bottom of the spring is attached to a gray plastic piece with 2 pulley wheels on the back side (also photo Balance 2). The string is tied to there and goes down to the black plastic pulley at the bottom (photo Balance3), back up and down a few times, then exits the bottom where it attaches to a metal clip (photos Shoe1 and Shoe2), which inserts into the pivot shoe.

The pivot shoe itself appears to be your Part #15-135. One of these are broken as well, so I'll be ordering a few of those. I'm just concerned with selecting the right balance, with the right clip to attach to the shoe. The sash weight (according to her old bathroom scale) is ~23lbs; it's a rather wide double hung.

Thoughts, please? :)

Thank you!

Bryan
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Please see our S770-24 channel balance, I think this could work for you. The clip is a little different, but it is compatible with the 15-135 shoe so that shouldn't matter.
I have a question in regards to the S770-24 channel balance.
As I mentioned, the one that it would be replacing has "24B" stamped on it. Looking at the chart on yours, it says that's for a sash weight of 11-17lbs. The sash was approximately 23lbs. Do I need to step up to the 24D when ordering the replacements, or is the 24B capable of 11-17 PER balance, making it 22-34lbs total?

Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, good question. If your sash is 23 pounds then I would definitely go with the 24D option. I'm not sure why the old balance had a 24B when the sash is so much heavier than what that kind of spring is rated for. Did you ever find the window was harder to open, or that it drifted close? It's possible the installers just put in whatever they had available at the time instead of the correct hardware. Happens more often than you'd think.
The customer said they hardly ever even opened the window. They've never mentioned anything about it drifting back down, and since it had one broken balance string when I arrived, it's hard to determine whether it was tough to open or not. I'll give the 24C a try, since it should be an improvement over what they had originally, and the 23lbs was off an old bathroom scale that I'm not sure just how accurate it is anyways. I definitely don't want the window to drift down, but I don't want it to open itself either lol.

We were the original installers of these windows ~15 years ago, but it's definitely possible the manufacturer (Syron) put the wrong balances in at the factory. They seem to have used a lot of oddball parts too, like the pivot pins that nest inside of a gutted tilt latch (your part #26-379).

Thank you very much for all of your help!
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.