The take out clips keep breaking

A handy person from Denver, CO says:
Hi. I have single hung vinyl windows. When I try to take out the sash I pull out the takeout clips and raise the sash. When I get to the take out clips I feel the clips engage. As I raise it more, the clips on both sides always either break or get bent and pulled out of the slots. I replaced the takeout clips and the same thing happened with the new ones. This happened on every window in my house. The only way to catch and release the the balance is to use a screw in place of the takeout clip. It's like the takeout clips are not sturdy enough to handle the balance spring. I use the takeout clip to reinstall the sash with no problem. It's not difficult to raise or lower the sash. This is a S385 34" option 3330. Is this a common problem? Can I get a sturdier takeout clip?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I've actually never heard of this problem before. Take out clips are already made out of metal so I don't think they get any sturdier than what you have. Let me look into this more and see if I can come up with an explanation for why this is happening to you.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I don't know what the problem could be, either. The manufacturer has been making the 16-002 take out clip for over fifty years from zinc plated steel. They are supposed to be strong enough to hold up to 45 pounds of force, but your spring strength is only rated for 23 pounds. I can't account for why you're having this problem with every single window in your house. They don't make a sturdier clip, but if they did then that wouldn't solve your problem. The 16-002 should be plenty sturdy by itself.

Basically, this shouldn't be happening. There must be something else at work that we aren't aware of, but I don't know what it could be.

A handy person from Denver, CO says:
I found the solution. I cleaned and lubricated the track and that solved it. Works better now. However I don't think I was using that much force that it would break and the screws worked. Thanks for the support.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.