Tilt bar holder

A home owner from PA says:

Hello you were very helpful in identifying and ordering replacement tilt bars. However, now I'm unable to remove the corroded remaining pieces. My window installer tells me that a tilt bar holder assembly needs to be replaced. Are you able to help point me in a general direction.

Thank you

Scott

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window frame.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Scott. While some pivot bars do have a little nylon holder, yours does not; it screws directly to the sash. You could maybe try soaking it in WD-40 for a little while (overnight, or even longer), then try your best to work it out. At the very least, you can also see if you can push it deeper into the sash so that it's out of the way of the replacement--there's plenty of room in the sash for this. 

Hello, I was finally able to get the window frame apart and get into the see the tilt bar holder assembly. Can you help me find a new tilt bar holder. Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named holder.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash pieces.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure thing! I recommend our 26-117 (left hand) and 26-118 right hand). I think you'll agree that these match up quite well.

Now, these are compatible with a couple different pivot bars, but a popular choice is our 26-040. There's no guarantee that this is what you need, though. If you have a version of your pivot bar that isn't corroded, I would use that as a reference to confirm whether or not our 26-040 is the right part for the job.

Hello, I had the opportunity and the weather cooperated this weekend. I took the window apart and verified that the 26-117 and 26-118 measure the same as my old corner pivots. Previously I purchased 26-08 3pivot bars. In your opinion will this match up with this corner pivot ??

Regards,

Scott

Hopefully, this is last piece I will need to finish the repair on this window. I have verified that the balance shoe 15-141 is a duplicate of my existing shoe. It seems that the shoe either rides on a metal coil spring, or is attached to this metal coil spring. Do you recommend that I replace the metal coil spring at the same time ?? Picture attached.
Thank you,
Scott
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named right side window.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Scott! If your coils are in good condition, then you can probably reuse them. Sometimes when a shoe breaks, it means that the coil springs aren't far behind, but I don't think that rule of thumb applies in your case. Your shoe broke due to what appears to be corrosion from the pivot bar, which has nothing to do with the springs. They're probably still in good condition.

Profile picture of Tom

We're very happy to help, of course! If you have any other questions, you know where to find us!

Thank you very much for the response. I'm very glad I found you guys to help me clarify these "DAM" windows. :-)
Did you see my question on the pivot bars and corner pivots ??
Profile picture of Tom

Oh, I'm sorry, I must have missed that. Yes, I think the 26-083 should be compatible with those carriers. It's the same size as the 26-040, which is absolutely compatible with them.

Parts ordered. Thanks for all your help.
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.