Tilt-in coil balances

A quick learner from Cary, NC says:

Hello experts,

There are no names, numbers or markings on any of the parts, as I can see. The window sash weighs 20 lbs. It's a single coil apparently, half-inch wide. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Zhaolai 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8646.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named that's what
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8648.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8649.jpg
Ah, there is an "8" imprinted on the coil. Not sure what it means and if it would help. Thanks again.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-8650.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hey there!

This looks like a match for our 15-180 coil balance shoe, which uses the Series 190 coil springs. 

Did you ever have trouble opening or closing your window? I ask because the number on your coil springs doesn't quite add up to your 20 pound sash weight. The number on your coil spring is "8", which suggests that you'd need an 8 pound coil. It looks like you originally had a total of (4) 8 pound coils, which would support a 32 pound sash. However, your sash weight is 20 pounds which means an 8 pound spring would be too strong for your window and would result in the window being harder to close or open. 

If the sash weight is exactly 20 pounds, you could use two S190-540 5 pound coils on each side of the window. This totals 20 pounds of overall support. 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you had any questions. 

Emily,

Thank you very much for your message.
The window worked fine for over 15 years, but the coil broke recently. The sash weighs exactly 20 lbs. It was single coil.

Instead of double coil, can I use 10 lb S140 single coil: https://www.swisco.com/10-lb-Single/pd/Series-140-Quick-Tilt-Balance/S140-10?

Thanks again,

-Chu
Profile picture of Emily

Our Series 140 is a completely different assembly and won't work for you, I'm afraid. We recommend sticking with the original hardware you have. If you originally had a single coil, two S190-540s on each side of the window will be fine; so long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight.

Emily,

Thank you for the explanation and clarification.

In additional to 1 Coil Balance Shoe and 2 Springs, what other parts do I need?
Also to replace both sides, do I just need to double the order? Are there any differences between left side and right side technically?

Thanks again.

-Chu
Profile picture of Emily

You only need to replace what's broken. If the other parts in your assembly are in good shape and undamaged, you can reuse them. If you need a new coil support, see the 15-181 double coil support detent clip. Coil balance assemblies are symmetrical, which means they don't have a "left" or "right". They're identical. 

If you're replacing both sides, you'll need to double what you need, yes. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.