Tilt window spiral balance

A handy person from Summerfield, Florida says:

It is 29 inches long with a white plastic covering. This came off a bedroom window and needs replacement. I also will need the adjustment tool.

The diameter of the spiral balance is 3/8 inches

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0550.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0551.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in, and apologies for the delay. If the balance's outer tube is 3/8" in diameter and 29" long, then you'll need our S900-29. To know what Color Tip option to select, weigh your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each color tip option on the shop page. For a charging tool, see our 75-006.

A home owner from Summerfield says:
In replacing my spiral balances I noticed at least 1 old pivot shoe to be broken. I ordered new pivot shoes (part number 15-045) and when replacing I found that the old pivot bar does not fit the hole of the new pivot shoe. Do I also need to replace the pivot bar on my windows to fit my new pivot shoes or is there a way to get the new pivot shoe to fit my old pivot bar ? If I need to replace my pivot bars would I purchase part 26-041 and would this fit my window ? I have included photos of my existing pivot bar (3 inches long) and my old pivot shoe along side of my new shoes.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0555.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0554.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0553.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You shouldn't have to replace your pivot bar. I think the issue is just that the 15-045 is not the right shoe for your window. The Series 900 is compatible with a ton of different shoes, not just the 15-045, so we'll have to figure out what you need.

To start, can you give me the thickness and width of your old shoe? Please be as precise as possible.

The width of the shoe is 1 inch. The thickness is 3/8 inch. The height is 2 inches. The pivot hole is 5/16 inch across and 1/4 inch high.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Width.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Length.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Thickness.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named height of pivot hole.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lenght of pivot hole.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! So, your exact shoe isn't made anymore, but based on the design of this pivot shoe and your dimensions I think our 15-212 is the better option. This has a cam opening size of 5/16" x 3/16", meant to be used with pivot bars like our 26-040. Let me know if that aligns with the hardware you have now.

Thank you. This should fit.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, that's good news. Please let me know if you ever need anything else!

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.