Truth Crank Operator Replacement

A home owner from USA says:
I purchased part 39-315 however, it is not fitting. The distance between my installations holes is 3 1/4"......also, the arm is slightly longer that the one I've purchase, the length of my arm is 5 1/4"

Have I purchased the correct part?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9179.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9180.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience in this matter. Unfortunately, your operator has been discontinued and is no longer made. We have no direct replacement for it as none was ever made. The 39-315 you picked out is probably the best option we have in our inventory, but it probably won't work without extensive alteration of the sill and sill trim. Even then, there's no guarantee. I'm sorry that we can't offer a better match.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, we have an update for you. Just last week I replaced a "GU" operator like yours in a local home. I used the 39-315 that Tom recommended and found it worked well, however I had to make the cut out at the bottom of the window a little wider and relocate the mounting holes in the sill. I would say it's about an intermediate challenge. Let me walk you through it.

To make the cut out a little wider, I used a round rat tail file an worked both sides of the cut out. You want to make sure it's not too wide to fit the new operator, so it would be smart to take a break from filing every so often to try the hardware out. If it still doesn't fit, file a little more and try it again. Keep doing that until it fits.

I also needed to relocate the new mounting holes in the sill using #8 x 1-3/4" flat head screws. I chose this size so that they would go into the wood sill below the vinyl. 

The last step you need to do is to purchase our 39-105 detach clip separately and then install it on the bottom end of the 39-315 link arm, so it will match the position of your old operator. 

One last thing: the window I worked on already had the correct sash bracket on the window. If you do need to install a new bracket on yours, be sure to get the correct type Our 39-513 and 39-514 are two such examples, but you can see more here

Please let me know if you have any questions.

How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.