Truth Hardware Universal Joint

A handy person from USA says:
I am trying to understand the Truth Hardware Universal Joint in detail. If you can please help me with the following questions or if you have documentation, it would be most appreciative:

1. Is there an alternative/competitors to the Truth Hardware Universal Joint for Skylights or is it patented?

2. What is the recommended number of years that the Truth Hardware Universal Joint should be replaced or its alternative/competitors?

3. Is there documentation on the number of rotations the Truth Hardware Universal Joint or its alternative/competitors can last?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

Best regards,
Lino
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure which SWISCO part number it is you're referring to. Could you be talking about the 39-336? If so, I will try to answer your questions one at a time.

1. I do not know of any off-brand substitute for this part. It has an 11/32" spline adapter to fit specifically on the spline stem of a Truth operator.

2. I'm afraid the manufacturer does not give a number of years or turns for this part's lifespan.

3. This part, like most operator parts, is made of diecast metal. if your operator or window is hard to open, it could damage the part.
A quick learner says:
Dave,

Thank you for responding.

I am referring to 39-338 or 39-336. I have a skylight accessory similar to the Truth Hardware Universal Joint snap on me while trying to open the skylight with a crank. It was quite alarming to find that the metal snapped (did not bend). I would like to avoid having this issue again. Since this is a diecast metal, does it have the potential of snapping too?

Lino
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Die cast metal is a hard, dense type of metal. It is not like steel or aluminum, which will bend. If die cast metal is stressed then it will crack.

Did your part break because the window or operator is hard to open? Or did it break because the handle itself was mishandled when operating the window? You may need to replace the operator to prevent this problem from happening again.
A quick learner says:
I think it was both the window and operator were both hard to open. I will try searching for another operator that better suits this skylight.

Thank you.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.